Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: North of the Sky demo

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:31 am
With everything being so much about Film/TV now, we often forget that it's not the only reason to write songs
I get that people write them for all sorts of reasons, and have done so myself - It's just there are so many better forums if you're doing your own artist thing

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:59 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 am
Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:31 am
With everything being so much about Film/TV now, we often forget that it's not the only reason to write songs
I get that people write them for all sorts of reasons, and have done so myself - It's just there are so many better forums if you're doing your own artist thing
Taxi does still run listings for artists, label deals, etc. :D

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Love songs aren't a "genre". Jazz, rap, classical, rock, pop, country. Those are genres. Love is a song's topic or a theme. Love songs are found in all genres. Very few are any good because the writers tend to rely on cliches, which your song does. The results are all the same...March of the Penguins. Attack of the Clones.

Nashville country is loaded with hack writers. That's irrelevant to myself and what I write. You didn't criticize my song for being poorly written, you criticized it for not being compatible with "synch", which I've already told you I don't care about. What I post should make that clear.

I've been on these sites for over 20 years. Years ago, I'd get a critique from someone who would say my lyric goes against advice given in a Jason Bloom book. Or a Pat Pattison book. I didn't know how to respond. I'd ask, "Who's Jason Bloom? What's he written?" The person would then refer me to a really bad song Bloom had written. The discussion would deteriorate from there.

Now, instead of Bloom and Pattison, it's "synch", whatever that is.

I still don't know how to respond.

It's been years since I've heard a memorable song in a TV show or a movie. Nothing I'll hear this year will come close to being as good as the theme song to Barney Miller (The version from season 5 on).

You can continue to tell me my songs don't fit for "synch". I'll continue not to care while asking you to post a song boasting creativity.

Or you could forget about me.

ps. Bloom's book on the music biz is great. But he's no songwriter.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:42 pm

SpecialGuestVillain wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 pm
Love songs aren't a "genre". Jazz, rap, classical, rock, pop, country. Those are genres. Love is a song's topic or a theme. Love songs are found in all genres. Very few are any good because the writers tend to rely on cliches, which your song does. The results are all the same...March of the Penguins. Attack of the Clones.

Nashville country is loaded with hack writers. That's irrelevant to myself and what I write. You didn't criticize my song for being poorly written, you criticized it for not being compatible with "synch", which I've already told you I don't care about. What I post should make that clear.

I've been on these sites for over 20 years. Years ago, I'd get a critique from someone who would say my lyric goes against advice given in a Jason Bloom book. Or a Pat Pattison book. I didn't know how to respond. I'd ask, "Who's Jason Bloom? What's he written?" The person would then refer me to a really bad song Bloom had written. The discussion would deteriorate from there.

Now, instead of Bloom and Pattison, it's "synch", whatever that is.

I still don't know how to respond.

It's been years since I've heard a memorable song in a TV show or a movie. Nothing I'll hear this year will come close to being as good as the theme song to Barney Miller (The version from season 5 on).

You can continue to tell me my songs don't fit for "synch". I'll continue not to care while asking you to post a song boasting creativity.

Or you could forget about me.

ps. Bloom's book on the music biz is great. But he's no songwriter.
Good and bad are subjective. I'm sure there are songs I think are great that you think are trash and vice-versa. Bloom, Pattison, etc. are teaching not just good songwriting (an opinion, I get that) but good COMMERCIAL songwriting, what might sell today. There is nothing wrong with having no interest in commercial success as long as one understands what they are doing and it's obvious you do. But I think you are a bit too negative on some things. I know people who refuse to accept that anything written past around 1972 is any good. Not true. *IMHO*. :D

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi, Casey.

I got into many discussions about the value of Bloom and Pattison and their books. Not a single one of their devotees was ever able to point to a good song they'd written based on advice from those books. It was, and is, my belief that creativity can't be taught. Technique, yes. Creativity, no. Technique without creativity yields McLove songs, McTruck songs and McCountrier-than-thou songs. A new variant has recently sprung up that's even more virulent than the others...The McSocialAgendaSong.

in order for me to acknowledge those guys as anything other than shrewd for making money "teaching" what they themselves can't do, you'd have to post a scrawny "before" song that weighs 90lbs, then an "after" song that weighs 200lbs and is all beefed up due to advice from one of Bloom's seminars. It's been my experience, that ain't gonna happen.

I think pop music went into hospice in the late 80s and finally pooped off in the mid 90s. The occasional great song gets past the goalie. Dreaming Fields is a wonderful song that's as good as anything in the past 30 years. So is You'll Be There.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Ha, you sound just like my parents. Great music gets released all the time, you just got too stuck in your past to appreciate it.

I see now why you're not interested in sync.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I think we've beat this one to death enough. :shock: :P :roll: