Fungi Omlette

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Fungi Omlette

Post by AudiniAudio » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:40 am

What kind of mushrooms did you put in my omlette? https://soundcloud.com/greg-turner-552985147/fungi

Oh the places my creative mind takes me sometimes.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Fungi Omlette

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 pm

AudiniAudio wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:40 am
You mean Splice.com ?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:20 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 pm
AudiniAudio wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:40 am
You mean Splice.com ?
Be nice! :D

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:01 am

As if that was problematic.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:41 am

Cosmic,
it very much sounds like you'd prefer the hundred other tracks composed by hand, no samples: http://www.soundclick.com/gongchime.

Did you ever see the movie Birdman? Keaton plays an actor. Great soundtrack by the way, jazz drummer the whole time. Anyway, in it he has a problem with a very influential critic who he meets in a bar. She's composing her latest column where she pans a recent show. In it he says to her everything in her column is a judgement, nothing about intent or structure. My Fungi Omlette's intent was to have fun. There was no intent to hide the fact it was made entirely with samples. Seems to me anyone hanging out at the "High Bar" on Ko Tao island on vacation would enjoy to hear it. They won't care how it was made. That's who it's composed it for.

If you'd like we can discuss modernism where the key is an altered melodic minor scale such as melodic minor b2 #5 but with added pitches (8 or more notes per scale) using non 3rd chords which are then further altered from the already alien keyality in preference towards half steps in the inner voices. The bass notes can sometimes follow a modified locked hands technique where b6s or b7s are played over chords with raised sixths or sevenths in denial of the chord ala Bill Evans. The lines you play over these types of chords don't need to follow scales. You can play motivically in a kind of non serial dodecaphony. The lack of familiarity of the key, voicings, chord alterations, and chromatic lines causes the ear to not need to hear the thirds of the chords which start to have a different center of gravity. Targeting thirds except on structural chords would sound unstylistic at best anyway. Then there's the scales with different versions in the upper octave from the lower octave. I could go on but the music speaks for itself. You would be unable to compose ii V I's in a key without a natural fifth or a natural second so most of your average jazz skills would be to no avail. Many jazz guitarists act like the tritone substitution is some kind of futuristic innovation when the reality is that kind of playing is really old fashioned.

Fungi has a very interesting use of samples played slightly slower than normal. Arguably, it also has creative use of reverse effects and gating which were not gotten from Splice. The sections may be a little repetitive but the average person doesn't like jazz or classical anyway. If someone had said it needed improvement of the variety between sections, I'd have bought that.

Your quickly and easily throwing away my track merely for being created by samples carries no weight.

At home there's an archlute, a sitar, a berimbau, and an Afghani rebab along with a classical guitar but they didn't get played for the sheer novelty of experimenting with my new production software and plugins. We play lots of Baroque classical too, not programmed.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:24 am

AudiniAudio wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:41 am
Did you ever see the movie Birdman?
No but I've seen Condorman

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:50 pm

As far as loops, *I* only mentioned them because of having the proper rights to uses the songs in Film/TV, nothing at all to do with creativity. I think we should stay away from attacking each other and simply be helpful. That's what this community is about and what makes it great.

8-) Casey

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm

I like this, Greg. There's something very engaging and interesting about it.

===
Michael

Tatsu
Active
Active

Post by Tatsu » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks Irthlingz buddy. I had fun making it.