Experimental Track

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tatsu
Active
Active

Experimental Track

Post by Tatsu » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:13 pm

I took some of my old catalog and repurposed the intros, bridges, and endings. Here's a mashup of those with samples cut up, reversed, pitched differently yada yada.
It's either a brave use of various world musics; Chinese, African, South American, Kurdish etc... Or it's an idiotic use of various world musics. I finished it yesterday but didn't post it because I was initially embarrassed by it. The bowed Chinese Erhu was too busy to start with and gets even busier. I may change that. The key changes are abrupt and the bass sound is unfocused in places, and all over the map as far as switching between kits. But when I woke up this morning and listened again, it seemed passable. As what, I'm not sure. It's definitely either "on the fringes" or "fell off the edge of the world." I figure, don't be an artist if you're not willing to experiment. https://soundcloud.com/greg-turner-5529 ... FfwqO7MdAo

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Experimental Track

Post by Zaychi » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:55 am

Completely not my cup of tea. But it might work for a scene where a characters is under the influence of drugs or just in general distress, and walking through a busy street, or something like that.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:32 am

It might be a fun experiment but IMHO completely unusable for Film/TV. As you suspected, way too much going on in too many different geographical styles. As you know, in our world it needs to be mainly one thing. Experiments are like brainstorming. Nothing said is dumb because it could lead to something else not so dumb. If you want, listen to one track at a time, pick a style (Chinese, Kurdish, whatever) and work around it staying consistent to the style with the instrumentation and design. If you have the ability to make world music tracks, you can make placement-worthy ones as they tend to be in demand. But they must be cohesive. Someone walks into a restaurant, bar, etc. in China for example. What might they hear in the background? And also remember, in many cases, for music cues, less is more.

Best,
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:23 am

One style, one mood , one emotion. When the scene changes and requires a different vibe, they will bring in another cue/song to support that new scene.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Not intended for film/TV. But if friends can't rip you a new hole, who can? :D :lol: Just thought you'd like to hear. I completed it because whatever anyone does, creates a learning experience.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:50 pm

AudiniAudio wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Not intended for film/TV. But if friends can't rip you a new hole, who can? :D :lol:
At least I do it gently! :D

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Lady Gaga says if it isn't rough it isn't fun.