First Submission in Two Days - Thoughts on Mix?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LarsonLee

First Submission in Two Days - Thoughts on Mix?

Post by LarsonLee » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 am

Hello TAXI veterans!

I'm brand new here, and about to submit an original song in two days for TAXI # S210707PR, seeking '80's-Style POP/ROCK SONGS. My recording is pretty much ready to go, but if anyone would like to give it a listen and share any thoughts about how I might improve it, that would awesome and very appreciated. Would also be grateful for feedback I could implement for my next TAXI submission.

The song's called Fickle Heart, and it is here: https://www.taxi.com/members/voN5olymT7 ... ckle-heart

Warm regards,
Lars

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: First Submission in Two Days - Thoughts on Mix?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:08 pm

Hey Lars, you will usually get more response if you post the Listing as it saves people needing to find it to see what the references are. It also means if any one reads the thread after the listing date has passed they will know what was being asked for. So here it is

'80's-Style POP/ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for several (up to) $10,000, Direct-to-Music-Supervisor placements in a range of TV Shows on Major Networks.

This Music Supervisor is on the hunt for Songs in All Tempos in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash

"Sweet Dream (Are Made Of This)" by Eurythmics

"We Got The Beat" by The Go-Go's

You can submit recently recorded Songs in the general production style of the references; or, if you’ve got any vintage recordings (recorded back in the day), the Music Supervisor would love to hear those as well!

Quoting the Music Supervisor: "I'm looking for throwback songs that can distinctively establish the '80's era. I need lyrics, concepts, and hooks that can drive the intent or tie in universally with various scenes and a range of emotions and settings from fun parties to emotionally sad moments."

Please submit great Pop/Rock Songs that could transport viewers to the 1980s! Your submissions should have great melodies, super-catchy choruses, and well-crafted lyrics, and of course, that '80's vibe this Music Supervisor is asking for! Confident, well-performed vocals with a healthy dose of '80's charm are a must for this pitch. Your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be era-appropriate and high-quality, as well.

Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, places, and profanity will make your Songs easier to place. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The estimated license fee for each placement is up to $10,000, depending on the ultimate use. These are Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, July 7th, 2021. TAXI # S210707PR

TAXI # S210707PR

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:17 pm

The intro certainly invokes the 80s. The instruments, drum sounds , chords and the catchy riff are all on point. Vocals came in just when I hoped they would so the intro is a good length.

Decent voice and I like the opening line " You're a rollercoaster " sets the scene nicely, not sure the 2nd line is as strong, some of verse lines feel like they have one syllable too many and you're trying to cram everything in so it doesn't quite flow.

The pre-chorus ( are you in or out ) is really catchy , then at 41s I'm expecting to be hit with a really hooky chorus but it almost feels like a middle 8 instead. Then at 53s there's another section which also feels more like a pre-chorus so as a listener I feel a bit cheated as I don't feel like I've had the " super-catchy choruses " mentioned the listing.

There are certain things that make choruses stand out and feel memorable - repetition ( i.e. Girls just wanna have fun ) - a change in phrasing such as switching from staccato verses to legato choruses or vice versa ( i.e. Take on Me - Aha. ) - a musical hook ( you have one in the intro but not the chorus ) - a change in vocal register ( which you do ) - the verses build up the tension which you do nicely and the chorus should be the release but I think it's missing that release because the chorus isn't hitting home.

My other main nit is the production, the mix doesn't sound clear enough to me so it ends up sounding more like a demo than a long lost 80s studio cut. It sounds some elements have too much low and and there's some masking going on..possibly from the vocals and the bass. I think you'll find the bar for the mix is higher on these $10k type listings.

Mark

LarsonLee

Post by LarsonLee » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Thanks for both helpful responses, Mark. Not enough time to rework the chorus for this listing, I don't think, but I can certainly take another crack at getting the mix more clear and balanced.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:26 am

LarsonLee wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Thanks for both helpful responses, Mark. Not enough time to rework the chorus for this listing, I don't think, but I can certainly take another crack at getting the mix more clear and balanced.
See how it goes with this listing and consider a re-write if you get similar feedback.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Instruments sound like depeche mode or something, thats good. The vocal chorus sounds like country, that's bad. It's the vocal phonemes, to sound like brit pop then the vocalist needs to sound like a brit pop'ist. The bass needs expression automation so it doesnt sound flat. It kind of sounds like a mix of genres like putting ramen noodles on a pizza.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead