Promos, Ads and “Manual Claiming”

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Promos, Ads and “Manual Claiming”

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi all,
I’m prob just late to the party but I realized this week that if you have a song/cue used in a tv promo, in a lot of cases you have to notify your publisher to make any $.

The publisher will have to file a manual claim. In my case my publisher contacted my sub publisher to get the claim started.

And as far as a song used in an ad/commercial one of my libraries has detection software that will determine the amount of plays on radio/internet.

Not sure if that’s the case with all ads but it doesn’t hurt to let your pub know about hits on Tunesat. Tunesat is what clued me in to the promo in Germany.

Again, might be late figuring this out but thought I’d pass it along.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Promos, Ads and “Manual Claiming”

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:11 pm

My understanding is PROs like ASCAP and BMI will not accept Tunesat detections as proof of usage. However, the detections may lead you other ways of proving use such as seeking out video, the libraries contacting the TV people, etc.

I've heard there are other services that better monitor ad usage. The names escape me now.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Promos, Ads and “Manual Claiming”

Post by JohnnyP » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:11 pm
My understanding is PROs like ASCAP and BMI will not accept Tunesat detections as proof of usage. However, the detections may lead you other ways of proving use such as seeking out video, the libraries contacting the TV people, etc.

I've heard there are other services that better monitor ad usage. The names escape me now.
Yep I've heard that too re BMI and ASCAP. What I did was pass the Tunesat detections on to my libraries and they did the reach-out. They were happy to get the info since they get paid too. I also found the usage on youtube and forwarded that to my library. If it was just one short usage I wouldn't have bothered them, I'm sure those go undetected all the time... :cry: . It's not right but it happens.

But in this case the promo was at least 12 plays in a few days and they were all :23-"26 seconds in length.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com