compression on main bus?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mattholsen

compression on main bus?

Post by mattholsen » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:32 pm

I got feedback on an instrumental track (small orchestra) a while ago that mentioned that the track should be mastered. The screener didn't elaborate. I assume he/she meant some compression on the whole mix, for loudness.

I've read from a couple sources, though, that libraries don't like you to compress the main bus, because the stems don't add up to the same mix.

Does anyone have any insight on that? should I compress that whole mix or not?

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: compression on main bus?

Post by ochaim » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:17 pm

i think “mastering” a track for a library’s consideration is different from them accepting the track from you. they will not likely take it as is if they want to add it to their catalogue.

instead, they will likely refer you to their guidelines for deliverables that will have details about things like, WAV or AIFF, 24 or 16bit, 44.1khz or 48khz, stems, alts, max peak LUFS, etc.

since libraries will have their unique requirements, i like to think the minimum is a balanced mix/master appropriate for the genre. its the best way for a prospective library to evaluate whether its useful to them.

hope that helps!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:19 am

Yes it needs to sounds mastered, make sure it's in the same ballpark as the reference tracks for loudness etc.

Don't worry about the stems, they will be close enough as to make no practical difference

mattholsen

Post by mattholsen » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:14 pm

That clears it up. Thanks!