with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AsburyParkAngel
Active
Active

RE Working completed and mastered songs

Post by AsburyParkAngel » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi everyone!
I released my 6th original album last year after struggling with a disabling neurological condition, (a movement disorder Dystonia).
Musicians, studio time, duplication and mastering amounted to over $15,000. Burned out because of this condition and creative energy nil. So, the songs are now dated. They sounded with promise. and pitching them has been disappointing. Searching or a "younger" producer because working with older, though talented players dates my music. VERY frustrating.
Thanking about reworking some of them. Anyone here been through a long illness and what did you do with your songs or projects?
Thanks for listening:)

AsburyParkAngel
Active
Active

Re: RE Working completed and mastered songs

Post by AsburyParkAngel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:45 am

Is anyone there/ I see many have seen this post, but no one is engaging. I am housebound and I'd like for someone to reach out a. A I'm hoping to find a cure for my condition, finding like-minded talented people will keep me inspired, ( and make wonderful connections!
here is my Sound Cloud page.

https://soundcloud.com/user-702069440

paulkearnsmusic

Post by paulkearnsmusic » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am

Hi there,

Your post resonated with me - although I'm probably not what your looking for. I'm old (but only in the outside) - but I know what it's like to have my health affect my music.
After many years playing live and running my own recording studio, I broke my back - and the operation they did to try and fix me made things 100 times worse.

I couldn't even get into my studio and abandoned my music for 5 years. I just "got lost" in every aspect of life.
Now I've got a very personal recording studio - with everything in reach and room for one.

Because my singing voice is "not good" :shock: - all my music has to be instrumental.
I'm a keyboard player with excellent virtual instruments and years of production experience.

Anyway, I have no idea if I could help you. I just couldn't pass your post by without at least saying "hello".

Keep going - they might find treatment that will help you. I know I'm beyond medical help (other than pain relief) - but "never give up". I feel so much better since getting my studio back.

Cheers

Paul :D

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:44 am

HI Anita!
You have great tracks and a wonderful voice!!

Juan

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:25 am

I think you could try re-mastering them with a simple plugin like Ozone or T-Racks, just use some contemporary references, so you know what your targets sound should be.
Should be a couple hrs a piece, if you have software and the plugins yourself, it's free. You can also try to get a quote on re-mastering from Abbey Road Online on the batch, or find someone at Fiverr.

However, it's mostly the writing and arranging itself that make something sound modern or dated, so don't expect that a little makeup will completely transform the face of the songs. In order to do it and recoup the expenses, you should probably have an opportunity on your hands.

Some of the bigger music libraries will master their own stuff, so you might try to put together a few reels and pitch directly to them. That way you trade some rights for the job, but won't have to invest more in those songs.

Tough situation. Do you still have the stems, so remixing is an option?
Ceo of my own life

GBall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by GBall » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm

It is a long road for each and every one of us, and it feels like an equal amount of creativity goes into the variety and quantity of challenges we face, sigh. I'm NOT saying all challenges are the same or anything. Just that If you could somehow see all of us out here - at least you'd know you were in the company of fellow strugglers.

Its on my mind because I listened to someone on Tuesday that I've known for a while, and had no idea that her MOTHER had been kidnapped and held for 2 years for ransom. Or that she felt neither Columbian enough for the Columbians or American enough for the Americans, and her drive to succeed was to honor her families sacrifices. Anyway - thank you for sharing because you just don't know what the person next to you is dealing with.

To you question specifically - most of the time I think you are better off to lay those tracks aside and move on to new material. That's because it is the ability to create new material which is the core skill here. To me Its like the painful process of physical therapy or exercise where its not about today's result, but its about the abilities that you gain from the cumulative effort of years working and sweating it out. Plus for me at least the ability to walk away from them is its own skill that has to be practiced.

Hang in there!

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:05 pm

So sorry to hear about your extended illness. I went through a multi-year departure from music for other reasons many years ago and it took a long time and some good friends to get me back into the scene, starting with some casual jam sessions. These days, I struggle with significant tinnitus on top of a lifeling significant hearing loss in one ear. I've sometimes said at times that I feel like a colorblind painter.

With regard to sounding dated, is your new album you mentioned on your Soundcloud page? I did not see an album specifically. $15k is a lot to spend on a project that you pour your heart and soul into, to hear it called 'dated' can sting. Would love to hear it and see for myself... depending on the music it might be able to get more 'modern' sounding by adding some elements.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

AsburyParkAngel
Active
Active

Post by AsburyParkAngel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am

paulkearnsmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:52 am
Hi there,

Your post resonated with me - although I'm probably not what your looking for. I'm old (but only in the outside) - but I know what it's like to have my health affect my music.
After many years playing live and running my own recording studio, I broke my back - and the operation they did to try and fix me made things 100 times worse.

I couldn't even get into my studio and abandoned my music for 5 years. I just "got lost" in every aspect of life.
Now I've got a very personal recording studio - with everything in reach and room for one.

Because my singing voice is "not good" :shock: - all my music has to be instrumental.
I'm a keyboard player with excellent virtual instruments and years of production experience.

Anyway, I have no idea if I could help you. I just couldn't pass your post by without at least saying "hello".

Keep going - they might find treatment that will help you. I know I'm beyond medical help (other than pain relief) - but "never give up". I feel so much better since getting my studio back.

Cheers

Thank you, sweet Paul for reaching out & I'm so sorry about your back injury:( I haven't been on in a few weeks because I'm pitching to TAXI & Music Xray. the last 2 songs were passed over:( Very disheartened.

Paul :D

AsburyParkAngel
Active
Active

Post by AsburyParkAngel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:06 am

Paulie wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:05 pm
So sorry to hear about your extended illness. I went through a multi-year departure from music for other reasons many years ago and it took a long time and some good friends to get me back into the scene, starting with some casual jam sessions. These days, I struggle with significant tinnitus on top of a lifeling significant hearing loss in one ear. I've sometimes said at times that I feel like a colorblind painter.

With regard to sounding dated, is your new album you mentioned on your Soundcloud page? I did not see an album specifically. $15k is a lot to spend on a project that you pour your heart and soul into, to hear it called 'dated' can sting. Would love to hear it and see for myself... depending on the music it might be able to get more 'modern' sounding by adding some elements.
Thank you, Paulie for being sweet & responding to my post. The 15 grand was spread out throughout the 13 years of recording, ( which halted tat the mastering stage. Most of mu efforts and time was spend researching a cures and working on my health wordpress blogs, (for the benefit of my peers on the Dystonia, Mold Illness, Mercury Poisoning & Lyme Face book groups. I'm also an ordained minister, so my music was mostly leading worship for churches.
Out of my suffering came a wonderful collection of Christian worship songs for my P&W album, The anointing, but that album also went nowhere because of the folk (Joni Mitchel-Jewel) sound. I don't think the folk-jazz guitar sound is "Commercial' or marketable anymore, so I'm quite disheartened.

I found some wonderful youthful producer on SOUND BETTER website, but I can't afford to pay 150 per reworking a sing. I don't feel that investing the time to learn computer studio recording because I'm seeking a publisher for my books. Journalism is where I feel most competent and it's easier to publish a book than fund an album!
Especially that I see music trends are so drastically changing ( I deduce that Very sparse piano & vocal arrangements are in style right now) and the beautiful harmony vocal arrangements I that is my specialty' and my Jazz chordings is NOT what listeners like currently.
So, My goal is to collaborate with someone who can bring a little edge to my productions. I really don't know what else to do.
here is my website. Go to the music page where the albums I thought were good are.
The GROOVE )R&B, jazz-hip-hop was recorded about 29 years ago.

https://anitaivetteferrerasburyparkangel.org/
Thanks again. Maybe we can collab!

AsburyParkAngel
Active
Active

Post by AsburyParkAngel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:55 am

GBall wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm
It is a long road for each and every one of us, and it feels like an equal amount of creativity goes into the variety and quantity of challenges we face, sigh. I'm NOT saying all challenges are the same or anything. Just that If you could somehow see all of us out here - at least you'd know you were in the company of fellow strugglers.

Its on my mind because I listened to someone on Tuesday that I've known for a while, and had no idea that her MOTHER had been kidnapped and held for 2 years for ransom. Or that she felt neither Columbian enough for the Columbians or American enough for the Americans, and her drive to succeed was to honor her families sacrifices. Anyway - thank you for sharing because you just don't know what the person next to you is dealing with.

To you question specifically - most of the time I think you are better off to lay those tracks aside and move on to new material. That's because it is the ability to create new material which is the core skill here. To me Its like the painful process of physical therapy or exercise where its not about today's result, but its about the abilities that you gain from the cumulative effort of years working and sweating it out. Plus for me at least the ability to walk away from them is its own skill that has to be practiced.

Hang in there!

Thanks for encouraging me! Re mastering would NOT affect teh vibe, cadence and production arrangement, sadly. The songs were done in 2009, so hard rock from the 90s jsut isn't current sounding.

quote]