Navigating the poor sound quality of Taxi/Soundcloud

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RyanCo

Re: Navigating the poor sound quality of Taxi/Soundcloud

Post by RyanCo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:50 am
AFAIK, Taxi screeners listen to the actual file you uploaded, not the "player" version. This used to be discussed a lot when they had the old website. Hopefully someone from Taxi will come on here and confirm that. :D
That would be great to know...

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Worth keeping in mind that whatever the screening situation is - it will be the same for all submissions.

RyanCo

Post by RyanCo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 am

SubRivers wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:45 pm
Worth keeping in mind that whatever the screening situation is - it will be the same for all submissions.
For sure, but having been a judge in singing competitions and worked some track screening in some sub-publishing scenarios- these are always situations where as a judge you just have to shoot from the hip and move. People show up to a singing competition without a backing track, start in the wrong key and can't cover the range all the time- and there is no adjudication panel that's going to try to make this 'fair'. Hopefully the bring a backing track if they try again...that's the thing they should have done.

In this case, it seems possible that 'the thing we should have done' is make our mixes slightly darker, less gritty, more sparse than the references and overall prep them for the lower bit-rate playback.

IOW, if nearly all of the forwards are less gritty, less bright and less dense than the references, then that's the thing we need to do for those types of briefs.

Again this isn't a 'woe is me' situation, I've only written 3 tracks specifically to the briefs and 1 got forwarded. That's great and overall I'm only looking to make sure that I'm not 'showing up without a backing track'.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:12 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:50 am
AFAIK, Taxi screeners listen to the actual file you uploaded, not the "player" version. This used to be discussed a lot when they had the old website. Hopefully someone from Taxi will come on here and confirm that. :D

Yes, and if you download a Soundcloud track, you get what was uploaded, and not the transcoded 'player' version that you hear on the web. Soundcloud has allowed you to upload full-res WAV files, from the jump. I know, because I was a Beta tester.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:07 am

Mixes sound good to me. I wouldn't worry about worry about the things you can't control - we're all in the same boat.