HEARTWARMING CROONER XMAS SONG (S210719CC)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

HEARTWARMING CROONER XMAS SONG (S210719CC)

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:58 pm

Seeking feedback on production, mix, crooning, etc.

Thank you!

We Are Where Christmas Really Starts

===
Michael and Sharon
===

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HEARTWARMING CROONER XMAS SONG (S210719CC)

Post by superblonde » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Vocals are badly pitchy but I guess you know that? Croony to me means laid-back pocket more Sinatra style, you might try exaggerating the vocal rhythm to really hold back timing severely, it could help give the feel, or not (?). Lyric content seems good (maybe not happy-sappy enough? I dont know).
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Thank you, superblonde! Will look at all this ...

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 pm

New version up now at same link as first post. Seeking feedback! Thanks.

===
Michael and Sharon

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:09 pm

Does the wav begin playback for you ok or is it just me: the first second starts really really abruptly, I mean it sounds like an export problem. Maybe adding 1 bar of rest at the start might resolve this.
This v2 sounds much better to me. The vibrato is good.

The word 'presents' is hard to sing because of sibilance especially in crooner style close to the mic. And some other 's' words like 'smiles'. There's vocal exercises for that, to lessen amount of breath used. I dont know if crooners changed the phonemes when singing, I dont think so, I think they sung 'like speech' but were just really great at not exhaling extra air.

One phrase that sounds awkward in the take is the first chorus's phrase 'is in family'. Maybe if it cant be sung well then the melody or rhythm or the lyric needs to be changed.

The drum brushes sound strange, like there is a constant rain sound going on, or white noise. Too much reverb? Or dragging the brushes constantly?
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Thank you once again, superblonde! Will look at all you pointed to.
superblonde wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:09 pm
Does the wav begin playback for you ok or is it just me: the first second starts really really abruptly, I mean it sounds like an export problem. Maybe adding 1 bar of rest at the start might resolve this.
For us, there's one second of silence and then it starts the way we intended it.
superblonde wrote:
This v2 sounds much better to me. The vibrato is good.
Yay! Thank you.
superblonde wrote:
The word 'presents' is hard to sing because of sibilance especially in crooner style close to the mic. And some other 's' words like 'smiles'. There's vocal exercises for that, to lessen amount of breath used. I dont know if crooners changed the phonemes when singing, I dont think so, I think they sung 'like speech' but were just really great at not exhaling extra air.
We can do some manual de-essing in the DAW, too.

More when we've had time to work on it!

Thanks again.

===
Michael & Sharon

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:29 am

Hi It's like the commercial for ragu sauce "it's in there. You sang this one with more passion for sure. Your timing is off and then spot on. I find my self stumbling forward for the next lyric word. Very seldom do I ever say this, but I think the whole song needs more words. The background is fine.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:08 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:11 pm

For us, there's one second of silence and then it starts the way we intended it.
the audio playback thing might be a safari bug for me. I've had it happen before but not sure of the cause.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 pm

We just got our "rejection notice" on this.

One thing they noted is that the vocals are not "silky smooth" enough. We get that.

It also notes that in the reference "the production is neatly polished" (meaning, ours is not). Also: "The song needs much more work to bring it up to the"Extremely high quality" bar set by this client."

Any suggestions on what we would need to do on the production/quality?

(We'll probably go for the $20 critique, too.)

This is our song as submitted:
Where Christmas Really Starts

The reference is linked below:

HEARTWARMING, ORIGINAL CROONER-Style CHRISTMAS SONGS with Male Vocals are needed for an (up to) $10,000, Direct-to-TV-Producer placement.

This super well-known TV Producer (on some really big shows) is on the hunt for Mid-Tempo Songs that would work well as a replacement for "Candy Cane Christmas" which is currently temped in:

"Candy Cane Christmas" by Darius Rucker

To be clear, this TV Producer is NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, energy, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No!

Quoting the Producer: "I am looking for a good Christmas song to replace 'Candy Cane Christmas'“ songs that reflect love and family and connect emotionally."

Please submit well-produced Christmas Songs with moving melodies, memorable choruses, and a generally similar heartwarming, classic crooner-sounding vibe and sound to the reference. Polished production that captures the joy of the holiday season will suit your submissions best. If you're planning on using any virtual instruments, they need to sound like the real thing and can't be stiff or obviously MIDI-driven. Captivating, well-performed vocals paired with well-crafted, family-oriented lyrics could help you seal the deal!

NOTE: This TV Producer is more interested in capturing a similar warmth, fuzziness, and emotion to the reference rather than replicating the exact instrumentation/production of it. Because of this, we think organic instrumentation that's in the same general ballpark as the reference will work just fine - no need to break out a huge band! If you've got strings, horns, woodwinds, etc., great, but they're NOT a requisite!

Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, places (unless they're Christmas-related), and profanity will make your Songs easier to place. Do NOT copy the referenced example in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The estimated license fee for this placement is up to $10,000, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Direct-to-TV-Producer placement, so you'll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you'll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, July 19th, 2021. TAXI # S210719CC