Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Does this work as an underscore/cue?

Post by Peterg » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:04 am

Hi,
https://soundcloud.com/dextrous-7/dream ... L4miMuPR7I
Attempting an acoustic underscore type cue. Is this too busy for a cue?
Any feedback welcome...

ACOUSTIC GUITAR-Based UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D210710AG, but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #D210710AG, please send different material this time around.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library: "We're looking for filigree pattern-based Cues featuring acoustic guitar/stringed instruments that are underscore-friendly. Ideal for storytelling on daily TV and advertisements."

Please send well-produced, underscore-friendly Cues that feature well-played, finger-picked Acoustic Guitar as their focal point. Light percussion, synth pads, soft strings, etc. could be nice touches, as well! Craft your Cues around on clear pattern/motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production should be competitive with the references. Please be sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are modern and high-quality.

TAXI Tip: Although this Company wants pattern-based instrumentals, please keep those patterns on the simple side. Remember, you're not trying to show off what an amazing guitar player you are, so much as creating a vibe, feeling, and emotion, while leaving plenty of room for dialogue to be the focus.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, August 1st, 2021. TAXI # S210801AG

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Does this work as an underscore/cue?

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:49 am

My feeling is that, starting at around 1:20, where the faster rhythm comes in, it would really have to fit the scene, or it would be distracting. I notice that the listing suggests creating forward motion "by layering instrumentation in and out" - not by speeding up the rhythmic pattern.

JM2C
===
Michael

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:22 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:49 am
My feeling is that, starting at around 1:20, where the faster rhythm comes in, it would really have to fit the scene, or it would be distracting. I notice that the listing suggests creating forward motion "by layering instrumentation in and out" - not by speeding up the rhythmic pattern.

JM2C
===
Michael
Thanks Michael. I think you are probably right, I’ll have a go at calming down the transition
Thanks
Peter

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Pedro,

I am not a fan of the virtual guitar or if it is real then it must have ton of plugins on it. I would keep it way simpler and more towards a simple pattern with a simple 3 chords and just add other instruments(not too many) every4 or 8 bars with light percussion as suggested in the listing and don't forget to also subtract and instrument as well.

Didn't really hear definite edit points again emphasized in the listing.

Good luck

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:08 pm
Hi Pedro,

I am not a fan of the virtual guitar or if it is real then it must have ton of plugins on it. I would keep it way simpler and more towards a simple pattern with a simple 3 chords and just add other instruments(not too many) every4 or 8 bars with light percussion as suggested in the listing and don't forget to also subtract and instrument as well.

Didn't really hear definite edit points again emphasized in the listing.

Good luck
Thanks Andre, I’ll try and strip it back a bit. It does only have 2 chords and things are added every 4-8 bars. I guess it’s just too busy to start with.

Thanks Peter