Dramatic increase of forwards

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Dramatic increase of forwards

Post by melodea » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:26 am

This is not to brag about my forward rate but to share the points I focused on which made a significant impact on the success of my submissions. This is mainly for Instrumental submissions though!
Of course, I didn't invent that stuff on my own, but it's the result of listening to Taxi TV, reading posts on forums, and checking out a great tutorial from a successful publisher AND trying to incorporate these principles in my production.

1. I STOPPED writing instrumental tracks as if they were Songs! (the following point refer to that)
2. No long intros (2 to 4 bars max), Pre Choruses are not necessary for an instrumental cue, rather go for a cool transition.
3. After Intro straight to the main part (maybe not full power)
4. Stick with ONE main hook idea, also the verse part should be a variation of it in some way, the magic word here is: CONSISTENCY (literally everybody in every tutorial and post uses that term)
5. build the track as a collection of parts that can be exchanged in a modular way (Lego), think about Edit points!
6. No 8 bars alike (even a small change to the arrangement like adding a synth in the background or sticking a tambourine in the rhythm part gives the editor a different choice)
7. Before I submit the tracks I create a playlist with the references of the listing and my tracks and sit in a lounge chair with a cool drink a listen to that playlist a couple o times.
I listen for stylistic consistency and overall production quality. Normally I have to go back and make changes to the tracks.

Of course, there are more points but these are among the most important ones.

Happy producing everybody
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Dramatic increase of forwards

Post by JuanMacias » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 am

HI Melodea! this is great content. would it be possible for you to share the link or author of the tutorial from the successful publisher you are talking about?

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:23 am

Hi Juan, thanks for the response. I'm afraid I can't give you the link or name of the publisher, since I made the contact through a Taxi forward. But what I wrote in the previous post are the important points in a nutshell! I'd be glad to share more info (I've I can of course) by answering concrete questions.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:03 pm

melodea wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:26 am
This is not to brag about my forward rate but to share the points I focused on which made a significant impact on the success of my submissions. This is mainly for Instrumental submissions though!
Of course, I didn't invent that stuff on my own, but it's the result of listening to Taxi TV, reading posts on forums, and checking out a great tutorial from a successful publisher AND trying to incorporate these principles in my production.

1. I STOPPED writing instrumental tracks as if they were Songs! (the following point refer to that)
2. No long intros (2 to 4 bars max), Pre Choruses are not necessary for an instrumental cue, rather go for a cool transition.
3. After Intro straight to the main part (maybe not full power)
4. Stick with ONE main hook idea, also the verse part should be a variation of it in some way, the magic word here is: CONSISTENCY (literally everybody in every tutorial and post uses that term)
5. build the track as a collection of parts that can be exchanged in a modular way (Lego), think about Edit points!
6. No 8 bars alike (even a small change to the arrangement like adding a synth in the background or sticking a tambourine in the rhythm part gives the editor a different choice)
7. Before I submit the tracks I create a playlist with the references of the listing and my tracks and sit in a lounge chair with a cool drink a listen to that playlist a couple o times.
I listen for stylistic consistency and overall production quality. Normally I have to go back and make changes to the tracks.

Of course, there are more points but these are among the most important ones.

Happy producing everybody
Well done and congrats on the forwards rate! Very good points all, and they belong on a checklist posted in every aspiring instrumental cue writer's studio. Best of luck! John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:02 am

Thanks John!