NEWB ALERT: Is it foolish to keep submitting w/out making changes?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Joliet4

NEWB ALERT: Is it foolish to keep submitting w/out making changes?

Post by Joliet4 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I just received my first batch of returns + feedback, and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to keep submitting the same tracks without making the suggested changes? Obviously, losing money submitting bad music is a bad idea, but I'm actually curious if there's a record of feedback reviews attached to our songs that follow them to their next submissions? Haha, I feel so stupid asking this.

I have been submitting a lot for several weeks now (many times using the same songs over and over) and if this feedback follows the track, well shoot. Was that a waste of time and money?? These changes are definitely not being made LOL

Oooor are the feedback points subjective and specific to that particular reviewer? Will a different set of ears forward this where someone else wouldn't? Can I just vehemently disagree with my review and try again or is that futile? XD

JUST NEWB THINGS

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: NEWB ALERT: Is it foolish to keep submitting w/out making changes?

Post by funsongs » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:26 pm

You might gain some insight from this thread:
topic147943.html
Your mileage may vary.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:41 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:22 pm
Joliet4 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm
Oooor are the feedback points subjective and specific to that particular reviewer? Will a different set of ears forward this where someone else wouldn't? Can I just vehemently disagree with my review and try again or is that futile? XD
Hey Joliet

I think that is how it is. However, if you consistently get the same kind of feedback... :roll:

The other day I got a contract for a song a couple of hours after sending it to a well-known exclusive library people like to get their songs into. A few days later, the very same track was returned by a TAXI screener. If you submit a great song to the wrong listing, it will get returned, too.

So, don't try to ram the same square peg into all round holes that you see around, but you indeed can have success with a track that a screener did not like for whatever reason.

Tom
Ok, I have ceased submitting for now. I will wait to see if the general consensus is the same for these tunes and I will adjust future songs accordingly. I have a lot to learn! Thank you so much.
funsongs wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:26 pm
You might gain some insight from this thread:
topic147943.html
Your mileage may vary.
Excellent! I tried looking for similar posts, but it's such a large forum haha. Thank you kindly!

The way I was planning to use taxi seems to be very different from what is recommended and what I see the majority of you guys doing (creating FOR a listing as opposed to submitting your already finished music to listings), and I'm trying to decide if this is truly a viable way for someone like me to get sync deals. Anyway! I appreciate the help! Thanks!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm

The most common newbie error is trying to fit square pegs into round holes..i.e. submitting existing material to listings they aren't suitable for.

If they are well produced and mainly being returned for being stylistically off target etc. then there is a chance they may work for something else down the line so I wouldn't chase your tail trying to alter them. All of my Returns are signed to Publishers now and quite a few placed on TV. They were good enough to be used but just didn't fit the narrow confines of the particular listing at the time.

A good way to find out if others agree is post up the listing along with a link to your track(s) and the screener feedback and put it in the peer to peer section..You'll soon get some feedback.

As has been mentioned already the time worn advice is " write to the listings "...that's the best way to learn how to produce what the industry needs. It's more often the case that music made outside of sync is not really designed to slot into a TV show easily. There is a knack to it but it's one that can be learned if you're willing.

Mark

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:51 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:46 pm

If you decide TAXI is not for you - they have the money back warranty. 8-)

Tom
Yaaasss, love that. 🙌🏻

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm

As has been mentioned already the time worn advice is " write to the listings "...that's the best way to learn how to produce what the industry needs. It's more often the case that music made outside of sync is not really designed to slot into a TV show easily. There is a knack to it but it's one that can be learned if you're willing.

Mark
Thanks, Mark! Yes, I'm seeing this more and more as I read and acquaint myself with things. My dad used to do Taxi and he found pretty good success. I am not a producer like he was, however. I work with a team to get my songs made and it's for my own purposes/artist profile. I would love to learn production one day, but it's not an option for me right now. So! Maybe I can find a few square hole listings for my square songs. If not, I will sponge up as much as I can learn and grow from there. 👍🏻

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Can you share some of the feedback with us? Would be nice to see what the returns were for... stylistic differences versus technical stuff (mix, instrumentation, form, etc) are quite different.

From the Taxi Ten Commandments:

8) Thou shall make it a non negotiable practice to read all Taxi listings at least twice to fully absorb all of the details that can make the difference between success and failure for your pitch.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Paulie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Can you share some of the feedback with us? Would be nice to see what the returns were for... stylistic differences versus technical stuff (mix, instrumentation, form, etc) are quite different.

From the Taxi Ten Commandments:

8) Thou shall make it a non negotiable practice to read all Taxi listings at least twice to fully absorb all of the details that can make the difference between success and failure for your pitch.
Sure! Feedback was technical.

Song 1

What I like most about this song
What marvelous songwriting and great production!

I think you could improve this song by
Consider working your vocal automation, as you currently have a big dynamic difference between your choruses and the other sections. They could probably be boosted in the verses and the bridge.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The production could benefit from additional elements to fill out the choruses more for this extremely high bar listing.

Song 2

Great submission!

You might check out the detuning keyboard part when the groove kicks in - it is sounding out of time.

Cool ideas here, but the out of time keyboard is too distracting.

We'll see how they fare in future submissions!

jdkotaska
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jdkotaska » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:16 pm

I listened to your songs and I agree with all of the feedback, both good and bad, for both songs. That being said, I think the issues were very minor and were likely pointed out due to the expectation of perfection for an "extremely high bar listing". You probably have a decent chance at getting a forward for these songs at some point, as long as your songs fit the listings and the competition doesn't provide a better fit. The high-bar listings for large amounts of money tend to attract hundreds of submissions so you really have to be at the level of perfection on those ones. Any minor distraction in a song will disqualify it.

As for the out-of-time keyboard, I think it could be nudged forward just a hair and it would be fine. I didn't even notice it the first time through. The second time I listened specifically for that and occasionally it did feel like it hit late.

Good luck. I hope this helps. :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 am

Joliet4 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm
Song 1

What marvelous songwriting and great production!

Consider working your vocal automation, as you currently have a big dynamic difference between your choruses and the other sections. They could probably be boosted in the verses and the bridge.

The production could benefit from additional elements to fill out the choruses more for this extremely high bar listing.
This song is as good as anything I've heard on Taxi, great writing , production and I love your vocals. The bar must have been extremely high ...Did you check out the Forwards blog for what made the cut ?

The main issue for the Screener seems to be what we'd term " sectional contrast " ...maybe I would need to have heard the ref tracks also to know whether I would agree or not but I kinda get where they are coming from..the chorus could "explode" more maybe with some wide synth or guitar parts and stacking up some Bvs. I think it's fairly subjective though so it may be perfect for something else. I guess you could experiment with a " Taxi "mix and just throw some more stuff on top of what you have, I think there is space in the mix for the right parts.
Joliet4 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm
Song 2

Great submission!

You might check out the detuning keyboard part when the groove kicks in - it is sounding out of time.

Cool ideas here, but the out of time keyboard is too distracting.
Another strong track, the keyboard part is quite a statement and I think it's probably one you can make as an artist more readily than you can as a writer for Sync.

Personally I like that part, I can tell it was done on purpose and I like the off kilter vibe it gives..it's almost as though its's a Red Flag in itself and setting the scene for the song ..like ..uh-oh..something is off here.

But then i can also understand where the screener is coming from. If it's an easy fix I'd be tempted to make another mix.

Mark