NEWB ALERT: Is it foolish to keep submitting w/out making changes?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Joliet4

Re: NEWB ALERT: Is it foolish to keep submitting w/out making changes?

Post by Joliet4 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 pm

jdkotaska wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:16 pm
I listened to your songs and I agree with all of the feedback, both good and bad, for both songs. That being said, I think the issues were very minor and were likely pointed out due to the expectation of perfection for an "extremely high bar listing". You probably have a decent chance at getting a forward for these songs at some point, as long as your songs fit the listings and the competition doesn't provide a better fit. The high-bar listings for large amounts of money tend to attract hundreds of submissions so you really have to be at the level of perfection on those ones. Any minor distraction in a song will disqualify it.

As for the out-of-time keyboard, I think it could be nudged forward just a hair and it would be fine. I didn't even notice it the first time through. The second time I listened specifically for that and occasionally it did feel like it hit late.

Good luck. I hope this helps. :)
I'll see what I can do. The listing was #S210706MT and the tracks that were forwarded are listed here if you're curious. Lots to learn about how to do this! Thanks for this feedback! Really appreciate it.
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:33 am
Joliet4 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm
Song 1

What I like most about this song
What marvelous songwriting and great production!

I think you could improve this song by
Consider working your vocal automation, as you currently have a big dynamic difference between your choruses and the other sections. They could probably be boosted in the verses and the bridge.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The production could benefit from additional elements to fill out the choruses more for this extremely high bar listing.
This song is as good as anything I've heard on Taxi, great writing , production and I love your vocals. The bar must have been extremely high ...Did you check out the Forwards blog for what made the cut ?

The main issue for the Screener seems to be what we'd term " sectional contrast " ...maybe I would need to have heard the ref tracks also to know whether I would agree or not but I kinda get where they are coming from..the chorus could "explode" more maybe with some wide synth or guitar parts and stacking up some Bvs. I think it's fairly subjective though so it may be perfect for something else. I guess you could experiment with a " Taxi "mix and just throw some more stuff on top of what you have, I think there is space in the mix for the right parts.
Joliet4 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm
Song 2

What I like most about this song
Great submission!

I think you could improve this song by
You might check out the detuning keyboard part when the groove kicks in - it is sounding out of time.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Cool ideas here, but the out of time keyboard is too distracting.
Another strong track, the keyboard part is quite a statement and I think it's probably one you can make as an artist more readily than you can as a writer for Sync.

Personally I like that part, I can tell it was done on purpose and I like the off kilter vibe it gives..it's almost as though its's a Red Flag in itself and setting the scene for the song ..like ..uh-oh..something is off here.

But then i can also understand where the screener is coming from. If it's an easy fix I'd be tempted to make another mix.

Mark
Mark, thank you for this! Maybe I'll mess with a Taxi mix, especially if the rest of my submissions are returned with similar feedback. And yeah that laid back keyboard in Red Flags (song 2) was intentional. It's kinda funk, so we sat on the beat. I love how it feels and I am ALL about telling the story with the sounds/atmosphere/vibe to serve the lyric, as you say. But you're right, it's such a specific stylization and message. I suppose it may not suit many sync deals. Time will tell.

It was listing #S210706MT and here is the forward blog. Really liked this one.

I've never written anything that wasn't specific to me and what I need from the song on a personal level, but this sync stuff is going to be a very fun challenge I think. SO GLAD for the community here, already. Thanks again.