We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Opinions Please! This is for a Public Domain Trailer

Post by Stubee » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/V2G7ZzSiTs ... de-of-life

I just submitted this to a posting for trailer using re-imagined public domain music.

1) Performance?
2) Arrangement?
3) Mix? I know the mix is not good so I really need your suggestions to improve it.

Thank you,
Stu
Last edited by Stubee on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Opinions Please! This is for a Public Domain Trailer

Post by irthlingz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:19 pm

I'll be interested to see what advice you get on this, Stu. I have found "epic" to be one of the harder targets to hit - or even come close.
===
Michael
===
TRAILER-Style COVERS of PUBLIC DOMAIN SONGS with Male, Female, or Group Vocals are needed by a successful Los Angeles-based Production Music Library for a wide variety of TV, Film, and Advertising opportunities!

Please send Covers that could fit in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Ave Maria" by L'Orchestra Cinématique

"The Star Spangled Banner" by Chase Holfelder & Ursine Vulpine

Please submit reimagined Covers of Public Domain Songs with a generally similar epic, larger-than-life vibe to the references. Orchestral or Orchestral Hybrid instrumentation that includes Electronic and/or Rock elements are the way to go, here. Any and all software instruments or samples you use should sound current, fresh, and not dated. Your production should be slick and modern, as well. We recommend sticking as close to the original pieces' melodies and lyrics as possible so they're instantly recognizable to listeners. Expressive, well-performed vocals could help you seal the deal!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please double-check to make sure the pieces you submit are truly in the Public Domain!

Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by a TAXI Screener who was personally selected by the Company requesting material. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, August 9th, 2021. TAXI # S210809DC

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 pm

Nothing is easy but "nothing ventured nothing gained". :)

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Hey Stu! my 2 cents! Instrumentation is key here. Choosing the right palette of sounds is what makes it "epic". Next thing I'll look into is the arrangement: usually, not always, tracks are in a minor key. So just like Vulpine's version in the refs, try to make it extremely sad, and dramatic.
Mix will definitely help make it on parr with other cinematic trailer production, but I guess there are other major things to worry about before that.
Listen a lot to the references, and check other industry releases, especially with "classical" trailerized music for you to get a better idea!
Hope that helps, and good luck with that one.
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am

I'd say it needs a lot of work on synchronizing the rhythm of the vocals in order to be above demo quality, before considering anything else like form or mix or etc. The harmonies should be dead on exact in lining up with each other even in a folksy-type genre which prioritizes rhythmic feel. Artistically neat idea for sure.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:29 pm

edmondredd wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:07 pm
Hey Stu! my 2 cents! Instrumentation is key here. Choosing the right palette of sounds is what makes it "epic". Next thing I'll look into is the arrangement: usually, not always, tracks are in a minor key. So just like Vulpine's version in the refs, try to make it extremely sad, and dramatic.
Mix will definitely help make it on parr with other cinematic trailer production, but I guess there are other major things to worry about before that.
Listen a lot to the references, and check other industry releases, especially with "classical" trailerized music for you to get a better idea!
Hope that helps, and good luck with that one.
I tried using a minor key but I could make it work because these public domain songs that were written 100+ years ago seem to all seem to not translate well into minor keys. Keep on the Sunny Side is so happy and uplifting that it's hard to make it sad and believable at the same time. Although, the Star Spangle Banner did translate well for the sample. I'll give the sample another listen. If I can't get it fixed for this go 'round I will definitely use your feedback on the next trailer that I attempt. Much appreciated.

Thank you,
Stu

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm

superblonde wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am
I'd say it needs a lot of work on synchronizing the rhythm of the vocals in order to be above demo quality, before considering anything else like form or mix or etc. The harmonies should be dead on exact in lining up with each other even in a folksy-type genre which prioritizes rhythmic feel. Artistically neat idea for sure.
Thank you Superblonde. I thought could get away with a slightly looser harmony. You are right bout it. I find it very difficult to time the harmonies when I'm recording.
I know there is a way in Logic Pro to line them up but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Maybe I'll see if there is a video on Youtube that explains how to do it.
As usual, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Stu

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:26 pm

I agree with the other comments on this one, but would add that the instrumentation palette needs work. The synth sound sounds dated. For trailers, they like some cinematic sounds in there, so maybe use symphonic strings, or really modern slick synth pads. That would fit better with the folksy sounding vocals too. Having an 80's style futuristic synth against a lonesome country voice sounds kind of jarring. It's a great song though, and I'm sure you'll find a way to make this work: though maybe not for this listing.

Vince

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Stubee wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm
I find it very difficult to time the harmonies when I'm recording.
I know there is a way in Logic Pro to line them up but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Maybe I'll see if there is a video on Youtube that explains how to do it.
You could start watching this one at around 2:30.

HTH

===
Michael

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:08 pm

nicotina wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:26 pm
I agree with the other comments on this one, but would add that the instrumentation palette needs work. The synth sound sounds dated. For trailers, they like some cinematic sounds in there, so maybe use symphonic strings, or really modern slick synth pads. That would fit better with the folksy sounding vocals too. Having an 80's style futuristic synth against a lonesome country voice sounds kind of jarring. It's a great song though, and I'm sure you'll find a way to make this work: though maybe not for this listing.

Vince
I'm working on a redo of this. I'll try to stick closer to the sample. I don't know if I will succeed but your advice is fantastic and I will try to see if I can come close.
It will probably take a day or 2 to post. Thank you for the great feedback. Oh, and I will also change to key from E to Eminor.

Thank you,
Stu