Non-Taxi ad placement question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Joliet4

Non-Taxi ad placement question

Post by Joliet4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 am

A company that I have recently done business with has asked if they can use one of my songs in an ad they are putting on Spotify. Does anyone have any experience writing up contracts like this outside of Taxi?

I'm curious what the going price is for a song in a commercial. $25? $2500? Don't want to sell myself short and don't want to charge so much they lose interest.

And how long I should write the license for. 6 months? A year?

What a newb!

Any advice appreciated <3

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Non-Taxi ad placement question

Post by superkons » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:25 am

I can only answer to the "outside of Taxi" bit: you certainly may conduct your own business outside of Taxi, I, for one, do that all the time. Taxi is just another way to get your music in front of libraries/publishers/companies :)
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 pm

superkons wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:25 am
I can only answer to the "outside of Taxi" bit: you certainly may conduct your own business outside of Taxi, I, for one, do that all the time. Taxi is just another way to get your music in front of libraries/publishers/companies :)
Thanks! I intend to, yes. Just wondering how other people write up the paperwork and decide on pricing. I'll figure it out. : )

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:07 am

Joliet4 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 pm
superkons wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:25 am
Thanks! I intend to, yes. Just wondering how other people write up the paperwork and decide on pricing. I'll figure it out. : )
Pleasure :) I am sorry that I cannot be of assistance with the rest, as I have no experience of doing that for ads.
Do let us know how you get in with that, please
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am

Ascap and BMI have rates for this, you should ask your Pro about contract templates and going rates. It would depend a lot on the length, territory and audience for the ad campaign. A different route could be to contact a high tier library you would like to get into and ask If they would sign the song, and do the paperwork for their share..
Ceo of my own life

Joliet4

Post by Joliet4 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:30 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am
Ascap and BMI have rates for this, you should ask your Pro about contract templates and going rates. It would depend a lot on the length, territory and audience for the ad campaign. A different route could be to contact a high tier library you would like to get into and ask If they would sign the song, and do the paperwork for their share..
Oh awesome! I never thought of asking my APO. Thank you!!