One more attempt at acoustic guitar underscore

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: One more attempt at acoustic guitar underscore

Post by Stubee » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 am

Telefunkin, there will always be people who can do this better but your skill level is obviously higher than most. You can't convince me otherwise.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 pm

And one more for good measure (a totally different piece).

==============
-Underscore Guitar IV- link tested and approved by Actuallyclickingonit Inc.
==============

This one definitely violates the idea that we should stick mostly to I IV V vi chords

The chord pattern is

| F| F| F7| E7 / Eb7| D7| | Gm| Bb|
| Gm7b5| F| G9| Gm7| C7| F|

I guess it's in the key of F, but there are just as many chords "out" of the key as "in".

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Not sure of all those chords and changes. Without insulting you if it is real guitar then it sounds un natural, maybe compressed a bit too much, maybe other plugins. also the bottom end is too much specially from 1:27 on wards, my speakers were rumbling at even low volume unless maybe you haven't mixed and mastered the track yet.

First edit point give the strum guitar more time before the other instrument comes in or just leave it ringing on it own to make an easier edit for the editor/producer.

good luck

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Thank you, Andre.

On the bottom end problem, we do have a high pass at 150Hz, a -6dB dip at 315Hz, and -3dB at 640Hz. Maybe move high pass up a bit?

It is a real guitar (from Band in a Box). We added only mild compression, some eq (to remove muddy lows, see above), reverb/echo and a limiter.

Here is just the guitar from BIAB with no FX. Does that still have the unnatural sound you're hearing?

Looking at the waveform of the overall piece, it's pretty clear it's not over-compressed or over-limited, true?

Besides, the compression is very mild, ratio of just 1.5:

The limiter seems also not too aggressive, with a threshold of -6.7dB:

Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again, gitanosoy, from 70 km due south of you (Orcas Island) ...
===
Michael and Sharon

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi Michael ,

Yeah I have to say the guitar track before any effects sounds more realistic. It is up to you but try just the EQ and a little reverb, no echo, no compression.

Sorry I am not familiar with those plugins, are they part of the band in a box? Is that a DAW that you are using?

..and what I was trying to find out is that you are playing a real guitar and micing it or the real guitar is from BIAB. If you had a mic in front of a guitar then I was going to ask you which mic and ....e.t.c so maybe I can proceed to help you...tha's all.

again good luck!!!

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:44 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm
Yeah I have to say the guitar track before any effects sounds more realistic. It is up to you but try just the EQ and a little reverb, no echo, no compression.
Here is a version like that.
Maybe taking the echo off helps the bottom end issue? ?
gitanosoy wrote:
Sorry I am not familiar with those plugins, are they part of the band in a box? Is that a DAW that you are using?
Yeah, Reaper DAW.

And again, muchos thankos!
===
Michael and Sharon

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:49 am

+1 on the different guitar sounds... it starts awful, but the one starting at 0:24 sounds pretty good.

I think you should do the violin part again... when it comes in (0:55), it sounds as if this is the first time she hears the song and is just trying to find the notes. Develop some real idea for what to play. The second time it comes back it is better, but still pretty hesitant, like unsure of itself. Think of what to play, and record it again in a convincing, self-assured manner!

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:29 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
..and what I was trying to find out is that you are playing a real guitar and micing it or the real guitar is from BIAB. If you had a mic in front of a guitar then I was going to ask you which mic and ....e.t.c so maybe I can proceed to help you...tha's all.
That was the 1st thing I wondered about too. I thought damn, I wish my acoustic tracks had that little signal to noise ratio, consistency & clarity. But then I noticed a certain unnaturalness to the playing that tipped me off that it was a virtual instrument, which I'm pretty sure BIAB is. Not that that is bad. I think if he plays with the velocity, note sustain, etc. he could make it pretty believable. My takeaway here is these virtual instruments are quickly coming for us guitar players too. :evil: How long do we have left until you can record a poorly played scratch di guitar track and then click on a Guitarist plugin where an AI interprets it & makes it sound like an Eddie Van Halen part & performance? Or sing an out of tune lyric and have a plug in convert it to sound like Cris Cornell or Otis Redding? I would be 1st in line for the vocal plug in, I know that.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 am

The guitar is from BIAB, but it's a real 12-string acoustic guitar played by a real person: Quinn Bachand. (More here about RealTracks.)

===
Michael

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:12 pm

I really like the chord progression. It's different but I think it works. The guitar doesn't sound real. A string bass might fill the void on the bottom end a little bit.

-Stu