We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

MYSTERIOUS, BEAT-DRIVEN INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by pveniot » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:50 am

Hi,
Long time I did not ask for inputs on submissions, should do more often!

MYSTERIOUS, BEAT-DRIVEN INSTRUMENTAL CUES with CHOIR SOUNDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK2iQyy1ubo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0HN2aUVMtQ

Although one of the references have additional vocals, this Library wants to hear tracks with Choir Vocals only.

Quoting the Company: "We're looking for original tracks that incorporate choir sounds (oohs, aahs, etc.) with a BEAT. They MUST sound mysterious."

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/bulga-volga

All comments really appreciated...

Deadline is August 3rd

Many THX

Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: MYSTERIOUS, BEAT-DRIVEN INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by Zaychi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:00 am

I'd say the drums are too far in front in this one, especially the clap. Considering turning them down, and maybe look into the sound of the clap itself as well. Also not too enthousiast about the risers, but that may well be personal.

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Pierre,

I think the voices are good, but mixed too far back. In the target listing examples, both the vocals and the beat sounded aggressive and in-your-face. Not sure you need the ambient synth pads. This is all about the voice and the beat. Also, around 1:19 is sounds like you are changing the mood quite a bit, and it gets warmer, friendlier and less mysterious. From the examples, it seems like they want it to be edgy. So maybe keep that mysterious vibe?

Also, the electronic drums sound kind of dated to me, but I think it might be because they are low and not loud and aggressive. Maybe make them more like the drum sounds in the examples?

I think with a few tweaks, this could work though.

Best,

Vince

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:01 pm

nicotina wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:03 pm
Pierre,

I think the voices are good, but mixed too far back. In the target listing examples, both the vocals and the beat sounded aggressive and in-your-face. Not sure you need the ambient synth pads. This is all about the voice and the beat. Also, around 1:19 is sounds like you are changing the mood quite a bit, and it gets warmer, friendlier and less mysterious. From the examples, it seems like they want it to be edgy. So maybe keep that mysterious vibe?

Also, the electronic drums sound kind of dated to me, but I think it might be because they are low and not loud and aggressive. Maybe make them more like the drum sounds in the examples?

I think with a few tweaks, this could work though.

Best,

Vince
Hi Vince, THX for the comments, very accurate and helpful.

Best
Pierre

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi, here's a new version

Old one is deleted

thx again for your comments

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/bulga-volga_2

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:01 pm

Hi Pierre - This is my first time listening. (Didn't hear the first version.) I have three suggestions, if possible, to bring yours closer to the refs:

1) See if you can make the bass sound more punchy and "present". Others on the forum may have more knowledge than I about *how* to make this happen, but I'm thinking maybe a high-pass filter on some non-bass parts, a bigger space on the bass reverb, and play with the EQ on the bass to emphasize the punchy frequencies.

2) Somehow, your beat needs to feel more driving and energetic. Again, not sure I know exactly *how* to do that, but listening to the refs I feel the beat more intensely (not just loudness, but the groove). I assume this would involve dynamics and syncopation and perhaps pushing the groove ahead a bit (i.e. before the downbeat).

3) Make the voices stranger, give them some edge. To my ear, the choir samples in the references sound weirder (and therefore more "mysterious") than yours.

Hope this helps.
Just my2 cents.

===
Michael