MODERN SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS (S210804SS)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

MODERN SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS (S210804SS)

Post by irthlingz » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 pm

===========
>Abandonment<
===========
Ears appreciated!

===
Michael & Sharon
===

MODERN SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by the President of a super successful Nashville-based Publisher with a great track record.

This Publisher is on the hunt for Songs in All Tempos that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"enough for you" by Olivia Rodrigo

"What They'll Say About Us" by FINNEAS

"I Guess I Just Feel Like" by John Mayer

Please submit well-crafted Singer/Songwriter Songs with captivating melodies, memorable choruses, and engaging rhythms. Stripped-down performances or more filled-out arrangements are both okay to submit for this pitch. Whichever approach you decide to take, your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be fresh and modern. Honest, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

TAXI Tip: Your lyric craft needs to be top-notch for this request! Remember, this Music Publisher is a big deal, so please be sure the quality of your Songs is strong enough to make it over the Nashville “bar" and onto his desk.

Your recording quality needs to be clean, clear, well-balanced, and good enough to represent your Songs well. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tone, texture, and overall vibe.

The specific deal points will be negotiated on a song-by-song basis directly with the Publisher. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. Please include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, August 4th, 2021. TAXI # S210804SS

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: MODERN SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS (S210804SS)

Post by Stubee » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:00 pm

I thing that the performance is a good one. The song needs "Arc" and the mix is muddy.
The guitar is played well but the tone is a bit dull. If you are plugging into the interface
you might want to instead try a dynamic mic like an SM57 at the sound hole and a condenser
mic in front of the bridge. Record it in stereo and make sure that the level is the same in the
left and right channels. When I tried that method it seemed to clear up the acoustic guitar sound
for me. Also, the vocal is muddy. My guess is that the vocal frequencies are fighting against the
guitar but it might be the piano. I know that this is supposed to be a lower energy sad song and
you might be reluctant to add another instrument but maybe a bridge could help. It just needs either
a change in dynamics or a bridge in order to break up the repetition. This is a good song.
This is just my opinion. Maybe someone else will disagree with me but I'd like to hear their opinion.

-Stu

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:46 pm

I think the very first word of the listing will be your downfall on this one, "modern". It's a nice tune but it sounds pretty dated. I'd go for retro, 70s singer/songwriter listings with this one.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:54 pm

I really like it. Seems folk, not sure, maybe not modern? The verse is great, I dont think the chorus holds up as well, maybe the chorus melody needs a tweak. (that "I showed up, but you never did" is not good at all.. maybe it should be falsetto?)

Maybe if you want to keep the backing track as-is, you could try completely changing up the vocal to be the currently-trendy "breathy" style like billie eillish "bad guy" style. Or like The Weeknd vocal style? Same melody just different vocal technique and much more backbeat on the vocal too. Not sure though.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:26 pm

Thank you all very much for your input. We are getting back to this too late to fix it tonight, but we will preserve your objections for the record, and hopefully put them to good use in the future!

Thanks again!

===
Sharon&Michael

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am

irthlingz wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 pm
===========
>Abandonment<
===========
Ears appreciated!

===
Michael & Sharon
===

MODERN SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by the President of a super successful Nashville-based Publisher with a great track record.

This Publisher is on the hunt for Songs in All Tempos that could fit on a playlist with the following references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"enough for you" by Olivia Rodrigo

"What They'll Say About Us" by FINNEAS

"I Guess I Just Feel Like" by John Mayer

Please submit well-crafted Singer/Songwriter Songs with captivating melodies, memorable choruses, and engaging rhythms. Stripped-down performances or more filled-out arrangements are both okay to submit for this pitch. Whichever approach you decide to take, your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be fresh and modern. Honest, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

TAXI Tip: Your lyric craft needs to be top-notch for this request! Remember, this Music Publisher is a big deal, so please be sure the quality of your Songs is strong enough to make it over the Nashville “bar" and onto his desk.

Your recording quality needs to be clean, clear, well-balanced, and good enough to represent your Songs well. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tone, texture, and overall vibe.

The specific deal points will be negotiated on a song-by-song basis directly with the Publisher. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. Please include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, August 4th, 2021. TAXI # S210804SS
I dig the hook "more intense..... feeling of abandonment" cool rhyme!! First impressions is the music sounds light and airy but the lyric is more melancholy. Also the strings around 2:44 giving me a retro vibe. Maybe a grittier guitar and drop the strings? It's not a reference but "Leave Something Behind" is my fav singer/songwriter track right now I can hear this lyrics done in that style. A thought.

Good luck!! Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:39 pm

swdaze wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:19 am
I dig the hook "more intense..... feeling of abandonment" cool rhyme!!
Thanks, Geo! That's one of our favorite things in the song, too.
swdaze wrote:
First impressions is the music sounds light and airy but the lyric is more melancholy. Also the strings around 2:44 giving me a retro vibe. Maybe a grittier guitar and drop the strings? It's not a reference but "Leave Something Behind" is my fav singer/songwriter track right now I can hear this lyrics done in that style. A thought.
Yeah, Sean Rowe is amazing. And that very song was actually a reference for a recent listing for "REFLECTIVE, ACOUSTIC-Driven INDIE SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with Male Vocals."
swdaze wrote:
Good luck!! Geo
Thanks for all that, Geo. We did submit as is, but will likely look at all these suggestions for future re-submits.

===
Sharon & Michael