Post-deadline audio file updates

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Post-deadline audio file updates

Post by irthlingz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:52 pm
2. You can't pick a song from your member page when updating a submission.
Which leads me to wonder if it is true that the submission is linked directly to the member page files. Seems like I had good reason to think not.
Yes, seems like once submitted, the files live somewhere other than on the member page, which is why updating the file on your member page doesn't affect the submission.
===
Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm
AlanHall wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:52 pm
2. You can't pick a song from your member page when updating a submission.
Which leads me to wonder if it is true that the submission is linked directly to the member page files. Seems like I had good reason to think not.
Yes, seems like once submitted, the files live somewhere other than on the member page, which is why updating the file on your member page doesn't affect the submission.
===
Michael
But since we don't know what we don't know, do we even know that updating the file on your member page doesn't affect the submission for a fact? I'll gladly accept anecdotal evidence. Taxi chiming in would be better :)

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 am

Paulie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:40 am
Would love to get a definitive answer from an admin/screener. I just realized today that I submitted two songs to the classic blues listing a while back, but noticed that I uploaded the same song twice. I just replaced the duplicate today, hopefully the system is based on the files we upload... I doubt that they pull files to a second location before listening.
Update: The track I replaced after the listing due date was received and resulted in a forward. Deadline was July 5, I replaced my track on the 12th. I received my forward on the 13th. So it looks like I just made it. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 am

Paulie wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 am
Paulie wrote:
Would love to get a definitive answer from an admin/screener. I just realized today that I submitted two songs to the classic blues listing a while back, but noticed that I uploaded the same song twice. I just replaced the duplicate today, hopefully the system is based on the files we upload... I doubt that they pull files to a second location before listening.
Update: The track I replaced after the listing due date was received and resulted in a forward. Deadline was July 5, I replaced my track on the 12th. I received my forward on the 13th. So it looks like I just made it. :)
Just curious: Could you tell from the feedback whether they reviewed the pre-replacement track or the post-replacement track? Also, did you just change the audio file on your member profile or replace it in the submission system interface? (I think your original comment implied the former, but not sure.)

I probably won't be able to tell from any feedback when the result comes which of my versions they used since the differences were quite subtle.

Rick

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 pm

I replaced the file on my profile page, which is where the checkbox list in the submission form pulls from. I didn't change the music, I had to upload the correct track. I submitted two tracks to the same listing, but did not realize that I uploaded one song to my profile twice, with the two different names (I selected the wrong file when I originally uploaded it). So, when I realized that both tracks were the same song, I re-uploaded the correct song into my profile.

In other words, I originally added "Going Somewhere" to my page and uploaded the correct file, then I added "Coming Down Blues" to my page, but accidentally uploaded "Going Somewhere" as the file for "Coming Down Blues." I didn't realize the mistake until after the listing was over, so I uploaded the correct file for "Going Somewhere" in my profile page.

That sounds confusing, hope it makes sense. :)
Last edited by Paulie on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:11 pm

+1
Thanks, Paulie!

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:20 am

Very interesting.

Wouldn't it be great to just get the info from one of the Taxi staff???? just saying.... ;)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:22 pm

RPaul wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 am
Paulie wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:51 am
Paulie wrote:
Just curious: Could you tell from the feedback whether they reviewed the pre-replacement track or the post-replacement track? Also, did you just change the audio file on your member profile or replace it in the submission system interface? (I think your original comment implied the former, but not sure.)

I probably won't be able to tell from any feedback when the result comes which of my versions they used since the differences were quite subtle.

Rick
To bring this full circle: for a recent submission, I uploaded a track, attached it to my submission; then I auditioned my track to hear that it was only a partial (stem) output of the mix. I replaced the file on my member page by uploading a correct/better mix.

I DID NOT UPLOAD A CHANGE TO THE SUBMISSION

Over the next few days (long after the listing had closed) I noticed that the 'edit' button was still available on the submission page. I thought about it, but did not even then upload a change to the submission. When I got my return critique, it was obvious from the screener's comments that they had heard the original file uploaded and attached to the submission - not the file residing on my member page. So now I know.

CHANGING A FILE ON THE MEMBER PAGE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE FILE ATTACHED TO THE SUBMISSION

I hope the $5 I spent learning this helps others on the forum ;)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:36 pm

Bottom Line:
There is no truly 100% sure way to update your audio file after submission and get the update be the one screened. You can try if the Edit link is there but even then, no guarantee.

So get your best shot in by the deadline and move on. Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat.

:D Casey

bracecrop

Post by bracecrop » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:33 am

9apps
cartoon hd