feedback on my submission for S210707PR

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Surfgtr
Active
Active

feedback on my submission for S210707PR

Post by Surfgtr » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:40 pm

here is the listing '80's-Style POP/ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for several (up to) $10,000, Direct-to-Music-Supervisor placements in a range of TV Shows on Major Networks.

This Music Supervisor is on the hunt for Songs in All Tempos in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash

"Sweet Dream (Are Made Of This)" by Eurythmics

"We Got The Beat" by The Go-Go's

You can submit recently recorded Songs in the general production style of the references; or, if you’ve got any vintage recordings (recorded back in the day), the Music Supervisor would love to hear those as well!

Quoting the Music Supervisor: "I'm looking for throwback songs that can distinctively establish the '80's era. I need lyrics, concepts, and hooks that can drive the intent or tie in universally with various scenes and a range of emotions and settings from fun parties to emotionally sad moments."

Curious what others may think.....much appreciated
https://youtu.be/TCXwAleUDP0

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: feedback on my submission for S210707PR

Post by Zaychi » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 pm

It's a nice positive tune and well produced, with nice hooks and variation. I'm a bit put off by the vocals though. When it starts, you have several lines with three syllables for two bars, which is very low. You can hear the singer having some trouble with that, he's trying to stretch the lyric as far as he can, and seems to want to go to some more "material" (midnight, frightening) which isn't there.

The guitar solo starting at 2:16 seems pretty bland and "standard", especially when it stretches after the vocal returns.

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:39 am

I think the screener was pointing more to your subject matter than anything. Your tune is more "ROCK THE CASBAH" but the reference was "SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO".

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

Surfgtr
Active
Active

Post by Surfgtr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:17 pm

thanks for the feedback gents.....You make a good point Geo.........that is way more constructive than the reviewer who said more 80's commercial hit flavor.....????......you would think when you are told you have a memorable lyric hook as the reviewer said that would work ......it's what the client asked for...and they had no musical objections.....indicating 80's elements were indeed there......feels like someone was moving the goal posts....