Kitschy retro instrumentals

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Margaret
Active
Active

Kitschy retro instrumentals

Post by Margaret » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:17 pm

Lots of KITSCHY, RETRO LOUNGE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D210816QR, but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #D210816QR, please send different material this time around.

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from them:

"Gay Spirits" by David Rose & His Orchestra

"Shooting Star" by Les Baxter

"Theme from Route 66" by Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra

"Bubbles In The Wine" by Freddy Martin

Please submit well-produced Retro Lounge Instrumental Cues with a generally similar kitschy, quirky vibe to the references. Craft your Cues around a singular motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments you use are top-notch.

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
-------------------------------------------

https://www.taxi.com/members/WbUoIwq2Qj ... garet-kalb

I think I've set it correctly for anyone to listen to.

My piece STILL NEEDS AN ENDING. I know that. Just looking for feedback on the rest of it so far. I'm not sure if the B section is too far afield-- it has a retro, kitchy vibe, but it feels a little more like the Munsters than a lounge... :lol:

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Kitschy retro instrumentals

Post by swdaze » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi I won't be much help but here's my two cents.

Overall I like the piece it does have a cool vibe (Kitchy Koo right?). I don't know the genre but I was getting an B&W cartoon vibe, I think they're cats but anyway still cool.

I didn't mind the "B" section but again out of genre.

I wasn't a fan of the high strings(?) at the beginning. It switches to a lower octave around 30 secs which is better. I'm not saying drop them maybe just tweak the sound a bit?

Good luck!!!

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Hey, I think you're really close to the mark here! I few thoughts: rather than starting with the piano and then switching to vibes for the main melody, I'd like to hear vibes all the way through (the piano isn't retro/kitschy enough to me!). Also, I'd take out the high-hat and possibly include one of those old wurlitzer organ rhythms, you know, with the clave sounds? The second half of the B-section is better than the first, which does have a little Munsters vibe. Perhaps you could expand on the idea in the second half? Anyway, great work!

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:11 pm

I wonder whether it really obeys the "Craft your Cues around a singular motif" - especially 0:46-0:56?

J2MC

===
Michael

Margaret
Active
Active

Post by Margaret » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks for super helpful feedback, folks!

Point well-taken on "singular vibe." I need to rethink that. Quickly, lol.

And excellent thought on the Wurlizter. It had popped into my head driving around with the reference tracks playing in the background, but I forgot all about it at home again.

Really appreciate the specific comments and suggestions!

Best,

Margaret