Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Advice for budget home monitors?

Post by funsongs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Thedude4774 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 pm
Peter, which did you say are the most comfortable headphones? I was looking into HD600s but I really don't know anything about headphones. I will probably try to buy Reference 4 next, and then good headphones after that. 🙂
How does the Mac mini do? Have you used it for any recording? Is it powerful enough for running your DAW and plug ins? I have a pretty powerful pc laptop but it's a few years old now and it's starting to wear down and I'm interested in an Apple but I'm currently priced out of pretty much everything but a mini but I was worried a mini wouldn't be powerful enough for lots of recording and plug-ins.
So good to hear you have owned the JBLs for years and like them! I am really excited about them so far and that makes me feel even better about them. So glad I didn't notice a hiss yet because I had forgotten about that when I ordered them and ever since then everything I read highlights that, but so far they sound fantastic. 🙂
The Scarlett headphones that came with the bundle - I sorta figured they were gonna be 'throw-away/add-ons'... but they turn out to be the ones I take to the studio for sessions/mix-reviews.
They're super comfortable for me.
No home recording or DAW.
The computer tech/friend who got me this gear 'beefed it up' - (I don't even know what these mean)
2011 Mac mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5; 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3; Intel HD graphics 3000 512 MB; 20" Apple Cinema Display
Whatever that it, been working fine so far. I've had this set up since about early 2016, I think.
Your mileage may vary.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Just a follow up! My speakers haven't really worked out so far. Not their fault. But I'm in such a small apartment and they have to be so close to the wall that the bass frequencies carry too far whenever I play them loud enough to be of good use. I've tried to do super cheap ways of cancelling out the sound but it hasn't worked so far so I will have to save up and do some sound treating. But I was really trying to decide between the Yamahas and these, and I think given my situation the Yamahas would have been better because the biggest criticism against them is a lack of bass. But, truthfully, I started school about a week after I got them so I haven't been able to spend the time I need to get it all worked out and really break them in yet, so the jury is still definitely out, but if you are in a super small space with shared walls and can't do a ton of sound treating, you may not want to go with the JBLs.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:50 pm

Thedude4774 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 pm
Just a follow up! My speakers haven't really worked out so far. Not their fault. But I'm in such a small apartment and they have to be so close to the wall that the bass frequencies carry too far whenever I play them loud enough to be of good use. I've tried to do super cheap ways of cancelling out the sound but it hasn't worked so far so I will have to save up and do some sound treating. But I was really trying to decide between the Yamahas and these, and I think given my situation the Yamahas would have been better because the biggest criticism against them is a lack of bass. But, truthfully, I started school about a week after I got them so I haven't been able to spend the time I need to get it all worked out and really break them in yet, so the jury is still definitely out, but if you are in a super small space with shared walls and can't do a ton of sound treating, you may not want to go with the JBLs.
Do you have highly-reflective parallel walls? There may be nodes in play that reinforce the 'wrong' frequencies in the same spot you have your ears. Move around the room while music is playing to hear if there are differences (peaks/valleys) in the frequency spectrum. You might find some relief by simply placing the speakers or yourself a few feet (or inches) from where they currently reside.

Also the JBLs have some rudimentary EQ switches on the back, correct? Be sure to play with them before you give up.

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi Alan! Thank you! I went back to school so I haven't really gotten to record much, and I kind of gave up because there was nowhere else to place the speakers in our current living arrangement except in a corner near the walls, and I think that is the big issue. But lately I've been using them with super low volume with my head basically right between them. Seems like the best I can do for now! Practically using them like uncupped headphones. :) But at least I'm getting some use out of them. As soon as I can change our living arrangements and get them in a better space I think they will be great. How are your speakers working out? Thank you for the help and feedback!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:16 am

I know this is a bit of an old post but just to add a little bit more to the considerations, my own personal opinion (based on a bit or research) is that in a small room where the monitors must be close to walls and corners, its better to avoid rear-ported monitors. Its hard enough to control the low frequencies anyway but when the monitor starts by pushing them out at the rear against the wall and into the corners it adds to the problem. Front-ported monitors at least send the low end forwards, and although it will soon hit the other walls and corners in a small room I'm convinced it helps a little. Examples of front-ported monitors include the Eris E5 (budget end but good value), and the more expensive Adam A5X. You could also look at smaller speakers but if you later move to a larger room you definitely will miss the bass end (although you could then add a sub-monitor). Ultimately though, the best thing is to set up in a larger room that is not square, or worse still cubic, and fit some bass traps.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:27 am

I had trouble with bass boost on some 8" speakers because I couldn't get them out of the corners. No amount of roll off on the back of the speakers helped. They were Event Opals and they were front porting too! There was a 15dB or so boost in the low end at about 50dB or so listening level! I can't remember correctly now but it was crazy. I don't know why I even bought them! I let myself get talked into it by a salesman.

Long story short I got a reasonably cheap, at the time, Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 system. They are discontinued now. They aren't fancy at all but the ability to position a sub in a small room is key to getting a little more level out of your monitoring setup.

I used the method of sub placement where you put the sub at your listening position as a first step. Most manuals that come with these systems outline the process.

I had a pretty drastic drop in level at around 120Hz which is a little above the crossover point but I just put an EQ boost over the output going to the 2.1 system. I have another set of 6" monitors and a single 5" on a different out without the boost.

Some people might say you should or shouldn't do this or that but I'm happy with my setup.

I did put a lot of acoustic treatment in the room. Pressure traps for the frequencies that have longer wavelengths than my room dimensions [32 in all] and velocity traps for whatever else is around. If they were 40% effective I'd be surprised but at least I tried.

Now if I had a bigger room I wouldn't advocate for a 2.1 system but in my small room its the only way I can crank it a little to hear and feel the bass without the low end of the room going bonkers.

Andrew Scheps mixes a lot on headphones and does a final check on monitors.

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi Lester! Thank you for the reply! I was wondering, did you notice a huge improvement after you treated your room? I'm just renting, and it's a super tiny space, so I wasn't sure what I could get away with, but maybe even just hanging some blankets or something might help. I tried actually putting pillows between the output in the back of the speakers and the wall to dampen them like a kick drum, but it didn't work.

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:16 am
I know this is a bit of an old post but just to add a little bit more to the considerations, my own personal opinion (based on a bit or research) is that in a small room where the monitors must be close to walls and corners, its better to avoid rear-ported monitors. Its hard enough to control the low frequencies anyway but when the monitor starts by pushing them out at the rear against the wall and into the corners it adds to the problem. Front-ported monitors at least send the low end forwards, and although it will soon hit the other walls and corners in a small room I'm convinced it helps a little. Examples of front-ported monitors include the Eris E5 (budget end but good value), and the more expensive Adam A5X. You could also look at smaller speakers but if you later move to a larger room you definitely will miss the bass end (although you could then add a sub-monitor). Ultimately though, the best thing is to set up in a larger room that is not square, or worse still cubic, and fit some bass traps.
Hi Graham! Thank you for the reply! I wish I'd thought about that before purchasing. Doh! I never thought about the rear versus front output thing. I actually was strongly considering the Eris E5. One of the reasons why I picked the JBLs was because most of the other speakers I was considering were said to have very little bass, but they said the low end came through with the JBLs, which I thought "great!" because I occasionally do hip hop, but man, the biggest problem is that the bass is harder for me to hear sitting a foot away from the speakers than it is for the neighbors outside, upstairs, or in the room next to me. To me it's crazy quiet, but to them, with their walls thumping, it's crazy noticeable. You are definitely right about rear output and small rooms not being a good fit.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:10 am

Thedude4774 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 pm
You are definitely right about rear output and small rooms not being a good fit.
Sadly, just about everything and small rooms is not a good fit. However, headphones can be your saviour because they don't interact with the room. There's lots of debate and opinions on how good/bad it is to mix on headphones, eg this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YuXNTCU2Y
If its good enough for someone of that stature it should be good enough for the rest of us, but remember that those with such experience could probably mix on just about anything, whilst if the rest of us mere mortals were dropped in the most perfect mixing studio we'd probably still make a hash of it compared with them :). Anyway, all I'm saying is that I agree that headphones can be considered at least a partial solution and also a useful alternative listening reference.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Thedude4774

Post by Thedude4774 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:47 pm

I will give the headphones another go. I think you are right, with the small space and situation I have right now, that really is the best plan.

Have you tried the Sony MDR 7506's that he talks about in the video? Hearing him talk about them really makes me want to give them a try. Thank you for all the help! Really cool video too. :)