You're not good enough "Impostor phenomenon"

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

You're not good enough "Impostor phenomenon"

Post by superblonde » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:31 pm

Abstract
Impostor phenomenon (IP) is the psychological construct used to describe potentially debilitating feelings of fraud and fear of being exposed as a phony in individuals who are actually high achieving and successful. The purpose of this study was to investigate the IP feelings of music education graduate students. A total of 130 master’s and doctoral students completed a survey that included the Clance IP Scale, the Graduate Music Student Scale, and demographic items. Results indicated that impostor feelings were present in a substantial percentage of the participants. Full-time student status was associated with stronger IP responses than part-time status, as was working on the degree face-to-face versus hybrid. More frequent and intense impostor feelings were experienced by females versus males, participants ages 26 to 35, students who were not married or in a committed relationship, and those who were the first in their family to attend graduate school. Master’s and doctoral students’ IP responses were not different, but successive year in the graduate program was associated with stronger impostor feelings. Based on the possible detrimental effects of strong impostor feelings, the findings should raise concern for students, their instructors, and their mentors.

Impostor Feelings of Music Education Graduate Students
Wendy L. Sims, Jane W. Cassidy
First Published September 1, 2020 Research Article
Journal of Research in Music Education
https://doi.org/10.1177/0022429420946899

Keywords
impostor phenomenon, graduate students, music education

wait so based on these statistics, I should try being a part-time slacker in online-only courses and get married while still young, and definitely not become a graduate student in a music dept.
Last edited by superblonde on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: You're not good enough

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm

superblonde wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:31 pm
wait so based on these statistics, I should try being a part-time slacker in online-only courses and get married while still young, and definitely not become a graduate student in a music dept.
Works for me. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:15 am

The more you learn, the more you realise you don't know. Its wonderful to be humbled by the world and everything in it. Nobody knows everything. We've all been good enough for our achievements so far, but its only aspirations that make us feel not good enough. Get those in check and all's fine :). We're all wonderfully different, thank goodness, with our own personal strengths and weaknesses, so what works for some might not work for others, and all of us will always be 'good enough' at some things but 'not good enough' at others. Who's setting the bar though, and how important is that to you or anyone else?

I say.....Learn, create, contribute, be humbled, be inspired, choose your battles, be happy :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:15 am
I say.....Learn, create, contribute, be humbled, be inspired, choose your battles, be happy :).
JFDI...as my Nan used to say

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: You're not good enough "Impostor phenomenon"

Post by mojobone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm

I'm an absolute hack, and I'm painfully aware of how bad I suck, compared to some people you've never heard of, and never will. Why's that? Because they don't NEED your validation. They're good enough to suit themselves, certainly, and way better than I can even hope to be, but they don't need to hear that from you. I have such a vast collection of technical flaws in my playing, that you could almost call it a recognizable style, so this is how I know. ;)
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:11 am

mojobone wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm
I'm an absolute hack,
I aspire to reach that level. 8-)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:32 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:11 am
mojobone wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm
I'm an absolute hack,
I aspire to reach that level. 8-)
I am there! :lol: :lol:

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:20 am

I've always played the piano by ear. It's my 2nd instrument though. I always played unorthodox using only the first 3 fingers on each hand.
So I started learning piano theory and also using all of my fingers and both thumbs in order to become a "real" piano player.
Then, I saw the documentary with Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin. Paul plays with the first 3 fingers on each hand. He's not really big on theory.
He suffered from IP but he didn't let it stop him from creating beautiful music. 55 Grammy noms while winning 14 of them. Everyone knows who he is.
We put too many labels on everything, "real" should never be a word we put before our art