Ambient / Meditation Feedback Request #3

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Ambient / Meditation Feedback Request #3

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:55 pm

Looking for constructive feedback on this track prior to submitting: "Skyward": https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... wg-skyward

"Please submit well-produced Ambient Meditation Instrumentals with high-quality organic or electronic-based instrumentation – or a combination of both. If you're using any virtual instruments or samples, they need to be high-quality and current-sounding. Imagine the type of music you might hear in a spa or yoga studio – that's what this Company wants to hear!"

Thank you,
DK

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Ambient / Meditation Feedback Request #3

Post by swdaze » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 am

Hey sorry I'm late but was looking for one of my post and noticed this never got a reply. I hate that.

Sounds clean, good recording nothing jumps out in the mix only two things I noticed.

The pace of the swells seems fast to me, from a meditative POV. I'm getting a more anticipation feel. Of course not familiar with the genre so it may be OK.

The swell chords sound "thick" to me. LOL I don't know how else to put it. Maybe the bass notes are too forward in the chord?

Hope this helps,

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

rpeckyno
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rpeckyno » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm

Just seeing this now too. (sorry!)

I love the swell sound (Korg Kronos?) - it's a bit like breathing. I do agree w/swdaze - the chord changes feel a bit too fast and - to me at least - a bit too consistent. I like the subtle piano overdubs - they add! (I wanted more, but that's always the trick with these - not adding too much...)

The thing that helped me the most with these types of cues (I'm still a relative newb - but do submit to these pretty regular) was to turn off the tempo track and click while recording. I try to let the emotion distort the tempo and make room for open spaces.

The opening notes might be a bit loud. I just got feedback (on a prior meditation cue) to watch for my opening notes being too loud because they will likely end up in a playlist with a bunch of other meditation cues - and the last thing you want (in this use case) is for everyone meditating to notice that your song came on. Slow builds are your friend. I'd go down about 25% to start.

ps. I just had a poke around your profile and imho you have MANY great songs that will find a use! Keep going! Cheers and good luck!
-robert peckyno / @streamingkeys
Pecknotes Productions: https://pecknotes.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/imaginaurium/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/tharsisdrip

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:12 pm

rpeckyno wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm

I love the swell sound (Korg Kronos?) - it's a bit like breathing. I do agree w/swdaze - the chord changes feel a bit too fast and - to me at least - a bit too consistent. I like the subtle piano overdubs - they add! (I wanted more, but that's always the trick with these - not adding too much...)

The thing that helped me the most with these types of cues (I'm still a relative newb - but do submit to these pretty regular) was to turn off the tempo track and click while recording. I try to let the emotion distort the tempo and make room for open spaces.

The opening notes might be a bit loud. I just got feedback (on a prior meditation cue) to watch for my opening notes being too loud because they will likely end up in a playlist with a bunch of other meditation cues - and the last thing you want (in this use case) is for everyone meditating to notice that your song came on. Slow builds are your friend. I'd go down about 25% to start.

ps. I just had a poke around your profile and imho you have MANY great songs that will find a use! Keep going! Cheers and good luck!
Yes, I completely agree with you on this track, and will go back and re-work it with a slower pace, quieter intro, and more variation. I didn't use a Korg, but pieced the sounds together using the synths in Logic. Thanks for the detailed feedback and encouragement! Much appreciated!
DK

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:13 pm

swdaze wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:10 am
Hey sorry I'm late but was looking for one of my post and noticed this never got a reply. I hate that.

Sounds clean, good recording nothing jumps out in the mix only two things I noticed.

The pace of the swells seems fast to me, from a meditative POV. I'm getting a more anticipation feel. Of course not familiar with the genre so it may be OK.

The swell chords sound "thick" to me. LOL I don't know how else to put it. Maybe the bass notes are too forward in the chord?

Hope this helps,

Geo

Thanks a lot, Geo! This is great feedback, and I will go back and incorporate it. Really appreciate your time, and thanks for listening!
DK

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:44 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:12 pm
rpeckyno wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm

Yes, I completely agree with you on this track, and will go back and re-work it with a slower pace, quieter intro, and more variation. I didn't use a Korg, but pieced the sounds together using the synths in Logic. Thanks for the detailed feedback and encouragement! Much appreciated!
DK
Hey what logic sounds? I get lost looking for good sounds!!

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm

[/quote]

Hey what logic sounds? I get lost looking for good sounds!!

Geo
[/quote]

In logic, Alchemy is great, also used the Native Instruments synths on that track...good luck!