Distributors - What Music To Stream & When

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Distributors - What Music To Stream & When

Post by jdstamper » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:05 am

Yes, but I do not at this time distribute my music through any distributors. I may do that in the future, so I'm interested in this topic.

We would all like to leverage a piece of music in as many places as possible. But this can create problems with music libraries, and I don't want to ruin those relationships.

Actually even when I sign a non-exclusive deal, I almost always treat it the same as exclusive. It's easier for the libraries, and it's easier for me.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 am

Bushido wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 am
Yeah, I definitely like the simplicity of what you're saying. You just have to wonder if you find yourself sitting on forwarded tracks, if it's better to have them working for you in distribution while you wait? As long as there isn't a conflict or you can handle it professionally.
To be honest over 90% of what I write ends up in a library so there isn't much sitting around but I don't feel it's worth putting them into any distribution personally because the streaming rates are so low.

Some of the Exclusive Libraries put them on Youtube and Spotify themselves but the return on it is literally pennies, it wouldn't even cover the cost of the distribution company for me.

Bushido

Post by Bushido » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks again Jim and you as well Cosmic.

Cosmic, do you find that the majority of your deals come rather quickly after having submitted, or after having waited for a good period of time? Just curious, I realize there may be no way to put a finger on it.

I really wasn't even thinking about the money until now, but, this is true, from what I have been hearing, unless it's a hit, you're not going to be making much. But it also makes me think about long term, and that maybe, long term, it's better to have a lot of tracks streaming for pennies, with a chance for more, than nothing at all? Also I'm curious about selling individual instrumental tracks/singles, that can be bought for .99 or something, how that works... if it is the same kind of thing. I'll keep digging.

What I WAS thinking...was that it's probably a good thing "to be seen" as having your music verified and distributed across the venues that are most used, regardless of how much money it makes or not. That the value is in "being out there" with the potential of building a fan base and relationships with other artists. That it's about the overall impression it can give, and if it just so happens that music you have sitting around can be leveraged, make some extra pennies, AND doesn't conflict with a music library, why not.

Thanks for confirming that some of these libraries also put your tracks on Spotify and You Tube themselves, it was something I was going to ask about!

It seems like you can still distribute without putting them in control of publishing/collection, so that might be the cleanest and safest way to start going about this.