"Happy Clappy" Instrumental Cue #2

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Happy Clappy" Instrumental Cue #2

Post by Zaychi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 am

That whistle works quite well... though it is obviously doubled with a flute or accordeon. Maybe have the courage to let it stand on its own?

Also, consider pulling individual notes of that melody forward to create a kind of "swing" feel. It is very straightforward on the beat right now, just like the main line elsewhere; it may create more contrast to that?

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 am

Zaychi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 am
That whistle works quite well... though it is obviously doubled with a flute or accordeon. Maybe have the courage to let it stand on its own?

Also, consider pulling individual notes of that melody forward to create a kind of "swing" feel. It is very straightforward on the beat right now, just like the main line elsewhere; it may create more contrast to that?
Hmm, good idea about adjusting the rhythm of the melody -- will try that and see how it sounds. Also, glad to hear the whistle works well -- I used a whistle patch and doubled it with human whistling panned left and right, then brought in harmonica hoping to create a "parade of kids" kind of sound. Will try them each on their own some more and see what works best. Thanks for your help!

crashgates
Impressive
Impressive

Post by crashgates » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi Doug

Just off the bat with a first listen, a good effort and very close to the target, my only concern, is it seems a tad more beat heavy and guitar/ukulele lite compared to the first two ref tracks in the first half. Maybe worth adjusting the mix accordingly or drop down the compression ( a bit of natural dynamics might do the trick). Also listening to the third ref track, the whilst line seems a bit more natural in comparison, otherwise well done : ) Hope this helps

PS also consider adding a bit of a lead line like ref 3, its adds a nice contrast

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am

crashgates wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:22 pm
Hi Doug

Just off the bat with a first listen, a good effort and very close to the target, my only concern, is it seems a tad more beat heavy and guitar/ukulele lite compared to the first two ref tracks in the first half. Maybe worth adjusting the mix accordingly or drop down the compression ( a bit of natural dynamics might do the trick). Also listening to the third ref track, the whilst line seems a bit more natural in comparison, otherwise well done : ) Hope this helps

PS also consider adding a bit of a lead line like ref 3, its adds a nice contrast
Hey Crashgates -- thanks a lot for listening and the detailed feedback! I agree, the kick may be too heavy in comparison to the Ukes so will play with that a bit and then see if I can tweak the whistle to sound more natural. Good stuff, and thanks again!
DK