Using background atmos/sound fx in Library music

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shyof11

Using background atmos/sound fx in Library music

Post by shyof11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right area of the forum to ask this question. --- Is it acceptable to use background atmospheres/sfx in library music for listings here on taxi? I am referring to sounds like school bell ringing, background noise from a cocktail party, kids playing in a school yard ect...

I am asking specifically for a "Alternative/Indie Music" listing---- TAXI # S210929EP
EMOTIONALLY UPBEAT INDIE POP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a hard-plugging Music Library with a GREAT track record of placements!
This Library is looking for quite a few Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"Honeypie" by JAWNY

"Disco Man" by Remi Wolf

"Close to You" by Dayglow

My track sounds good with a couple sound fx in the background like a cocktail party sfx for the intro and a school bell ringing but I was unsure if this was a no no generally.

any help appreciated.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Using background atmos/sound fx in Library music

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Someone far more experienced than me , gave me this advice when I was starting out.

NO FOLEY !

Why ? Because you'll make your track borderline unusable....Think about it. Any SFX you add are extremely unlikely match up with the end users visuals. You're limiting your song to only being viable in scenes where there is a cocktail party happening in a school. What do you think the odds are ?

If they want SFX...they have their own FX they can add in the dub. Don't do it !

Mark

shyof11

Re: Using background atmos/sound fx in Library music

Post by shyof11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reply,
Yes this totally makes sense and I figured as much but had to ask to confirm. Stylistically these sounds add to my song, and this sort of thing is done in popular music however I would not want to limit the use of my song potentially. I know sometimes I have heard a clock ticking sound used in library music, perhaps that sound gets a pass sometimes as its more abstract possibly.

cheers