Favorite modeler?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Favorite modeler?

Post by CEMundt » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm

What’s everyone’s favorite amp modeler? Short and simple :)

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Favorite modeler?

Post by Cameloide » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:09 am

CEMundt wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm
What’s everyone’s favorite amp modeler? Short and simple :)
To my ears the Neural DSP Archetype (Cory Wong, Nolly, etc.) sound more realistic than the others and better than I can engineer my own amps to sound, whether clean or heavy. Occasionally, I'll use Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6, or Bias Fx 2 if I need a greater range of effects. Guitar Rig 6 has some really cool out-there effects, like step sequencers and other more synthy effects.

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:32 pm

I tend to use Amplitube, but I’ve been thinking about getting a hardware modeler. I’ve seen a few people around here using a Pocket Pod, but I’ve heard a few
comments saying that the sounds aren’t modern enough. Also, I’d like to be able to record direct via USB and have a GUI for editing tones.

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Of course, $$ makes a difference. I just bought a ton of gear and let’s not forget that the kids have hinted that they want Christmas gifts this year. We’ll see… ;) ;)

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:45 pm

CEMundt wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:32 pm
I tend to use Amplitube, but I’ve been thinking about getting a hardware modeler. I’ve seen a few people around here using a Pocket Pod, but I’ve heard a few
comments saying that the sounds aren’t modern enough. Also, I’d like to be able to record direct via USB and have a GUI for editing tones.
I haven't used Amplitube in about 10 years, but if it's progressed like the others I'm sure it can get the job done. I also haven't used a hardware model since the pod 2.0 or the cheaper behringer Vamp. If I was getting into the game these days I'd probably start with the DSP Quad - https://youtu.be/8tH2S2n55-k

I do happen to listen to a lot of music where the guitar tones were produced by the Axe Fx, so I'm sure it'll do the job too. I Played with a Kemper for a night, and decided to not get one and am really glad I didn't when I played with Neural DSP's stuff.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:10 pm

If I were looking to buy a hardware unit, I'd probably check out the Neural DSP Quad Cortex. Here's a demo from a guy with great chops showing one off (He also makes vids of the individual Neural plugins too which are great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvbQ4oPXck

As a side note, this guy tunes his guitar in strict 4ths it seems... interesting.

As far as plugins go, I mostly use Amplitube 5 and some of the Neural DSP Archetypes.