DISASTER!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

DISASTER!

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:27 pm

Disaster! I just spent an hour recording, came into the kitchen for a minute, rested my guitar against the cabinet, and it fell over, belly down, onto the floor. As you can see from the glue, it broke once before. I'm really concerned that I can't complete the Original Classical Guitar and Classical Guitar Cover listings now. I did manage to get a good sound setting in the DAW last night, and I labeled it Classical Guitar so I could return to it easily. Now, this. It's my only classical guitar. I do have other guitars, but nothing suitable for the listing. I plan to glue it back together, so those of you who pray, please send one up for me and my guitar. Thanks, Merry

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: DISASTER!

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:36 pm

So sorry. :cry: Maybe it's time to buy a new classical guitar? That assumes that it's not a problem financially. One listing is just that, not the worst thing if you don't get this one done in time. A new classical guitar will bring you years of pleasure and track making. Of course, it would still be great if you can glue it to get by here.

Good luck!
:D Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Oh, one more thing. I have a friend, a Taxi member or former member, who plays and records a fantastic classical guitar. If you need a collab-er to get this done, shoot me a PM. He's a great guy.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 pm

THat doesn't look too bad. My guitar has a big hole in it.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 pm

In addition to the ideas above, a couple other ideas, for what it's worth...

- Do you have a guitar repair shop anywhere near, who could do it quickly as an emergency repair?

-Could you possibly clamp the sides together to finish your track, and then get the guitar repaired? You may be able to clamp it by putting scrap pieces of wood on the outside of the guitar to shield it from the clamp

- Could you borrow or rent a similar sounding guitar to let you finish the track while you get your guitar repaired?
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Thanks, guys! I appreciate all the input!

Casey, a new guitar isn't in my budget right now, although I must admit I did a search for the best classical guitars of 2021 and was impressed with some of the offerings. I was just hoping to get a few other instruments before having to get another guitar (e.g., a shamisen, a koto, a viola, a cello, a banjo, and possibly a bouzouki). And thank you for the offer of finding a collaborator for me! I will let you know if I can't do any more recording myself. :)

I like the idea of using a clamp on it to record, Jim. I do have C-clamps (which I will be using when I glue it back together). I don't know what it'll do to the tone, but I intend to find out. Since it's in the headstock, it shouldn't really affect it. Thanks for the suggestion about a guitar repair shop. I was thinking fondly of Moze Guitar in San Diego County (now located in La Mesa, unless they've moved again). They did such good work on my guitars in the past. But, I looked it up after you mentioned it, and there is a guitar repair place in our city, so I just messaged them a question about how much they'd charge to fix it.

Mark (? Dolphin?), your guitar sounds like Willie Nelson's guitar! My very first guitar has a warped soundboard because when I was young and ignorant, I thought I didn't need a capo! That's why I got the second guitar: the first one became unplayable past the first five frets.

Thanks for the good wishes, Tom!

I appreciate you guys! You've made me feel better. Of course, mixing the Rondo helped, too. I posted that on Peer to Peer under the heading Classical Guitar Listing or some such thing. Here's a link here in case you don't feel like popping over to Peer to Peer. Rondo in A for Guitar by Marion Laird

I also bought Titebond III (as recommended by a friend's husband who mended her guitar) and some tiny dowels that were recommended by another friend who builds old-time clawhammer banjos. So, if the guitar shop people want more money than I can afford, I can tackle the repair myself and hope for better results this time.

Merry, feeling merrier now

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: DISASTER! Stopgap

Post by Merryband1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:00 pm

The repair shop wants $200-300 for the repair. Guess I'll be fixing it myself. In the meantime, I have a clamp and I can still play with it on. :) After I finish doing the recordings for the Original and PD Classical Guitar listings, I'll fix it.

Merry

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: DISASTER! Stopgap

Post by Merryband1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:01 pm

The repair shop wants $200-300 for the repair. Guess I'll be fixing it myself. In the meantime, I have a clamp and I can still play with it on. :) After I finish doing the recordings for the Original and PD Classical Guitar listings, I'll fix it.

Merry

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:30 pm

a) I live in California. We have earthquakes. Been thru two rather gnarly ones in the 45 years that I've been here.
b) I have some very nice vintage guitars and I frequently use them on tracks and cues
WHICH IS WHY: I put the (really primo guitars) back into the case whenever I am not playing or recording them. Yes, even just to walk back in the kitchen to refill my coffee cup between takes.

Call me paranoid, but MARRYBAND1's experience is precisely why I do this.

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:05 pm

You're so right, Stan! When I lived in SoCal, I almost always put the guitar back into the case! The earthquakes were one reason, and being able to grab it easily in case of having to evacuate for a fire was another. I've gotten lax since we moved. I do have a guitar stand, and that's where I should have put it if I were going to put it into the stand, but, no, I had to just lean it on a chair or a cabinet... :roll: Everyone, learn from my mistake!

Merry, planning to be more careful in the future!