Committed Musician
Committed Musician

S211109LH: Feel-good instrumental cue, V5

Post by irthlingz » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pm

Is it perfect yet? :)

https://www.taxi.com/members/mike_shar/ ... ht-hearted

Two changes in V5:
1) -3dB on the guitar at 300Hz, to deal with "muffled" feeling
(already had a high pass filter @ 150Hz, -3dB @ 630Hz and +2dB @ 6126Hz)
2) Simplified the glock a bit (1:14 and 1:50)
Thank you, Dennis, Douglas and feaker!!!

Changes in previous versions:

Inspired by Dennis' specific and actionable feedback:
1) New handclaps. (It turns out that if one brings the palms of one's hands together in a percussive manner, it generates a sound very much like a handclap. Who knew? :) )
2) Took Caspar out of the chorus. If he complains, we just won't respond. Hate to ghost him like that, but he's probably used to it. :) :)
3) Eliminated the tambourine, leaving mainly the shaker from the original percussion (plus some of the original handclaps).
4) Edited the ending, so shakers and other things all hit right on the final beat. Also faded the ending a bit more.
Thank you, Dennis!

Based on Tom's feedback (thank you, Tom!), we additionally cut the claps back 3dB and had them start at a lower volume and build in each section, and also brought the vocals down even more and added some long reverb to them.

Based on Paulie's much-appreciated feedback, we took out the tin whistle (0:53-1:11 and 1:57-end) and put in mandolin that is more in line with the guitar part. We kept the vocal oohs at 1:11-1:29 and 1:41-end, but put the oohs farther back in the mix and added some glockenspiel in those sections, too, so oohs are less emphasized and the main motif is more emphasized.

Thank each and every one of you wonderful people!
Michael & Sharon
===

FEEL-GOOD, ACOUSTIC-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Commercials, Advertisements, and Promotions.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Listing #S210729FG, but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #S210729FG, please send different material this time around.

NEW TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5jerwwibk7pu ... N1jwa?dl=0

Quoting the Library: "We’re looking for cues that have a clear light-hearted and feel-good mood: Warm, positive, and somewhat easy-going. We want to hear pieces with organic/acoustic instrumentation that have a human touch."

Please send top-notch Instrumental Cues with an overall feel-good vibe and sound. Craft your Cues around one clear motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Acoustic-based instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best – think acoustic guitar, ukulele, handclaps, glockenspiel, whistling, etc. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you do use are high-quality, modern, and don't sound stiff or synthetic. The more your submissions sound like they're being performed by real musicians playing real instruments, the better.

TAXI Tip: Some non-lyric vocal parts like "oohs," "ahhs," etc. could help add some extra care-free energy to your tracks. They're not a requirement, but the references they gave have them, so listen to see how they've used them!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request. Also, if you're an experienced producer that can deliver the goods in this genre, they're especially interested in hearing what you can do!

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, November 9th, 2021. TAXI # S211109LH
Last edited by irthlingz on Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:05 am, edited 11 times in total.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: S211109LH: Feel-good instrumental cue, feedback please!

Post by Paulie » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Nice guitar playing. :) I think you are doing exactly what the listing is asking you to not do: adding new elements and not keeping it simple. The recorder solo introduced new melodic content, and the vocals also introduce yet another different theme. I think you could rework this by picking a single simple melodic theme, maybe something implied by your higher guitar strings and then play that same theme with the recorder (at a lower volume) and again with another instrument. Not sure I would use vocals, perhaps some sort of gentle mallet, or perhaps mandolin/ukelele for the theme.

It's got potential for sure, the happy vibe is there.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Thank you, Paulie! Revised version now in first post in this thread!

===
Michael & Sharon

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:24 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:13 pm
I think this is nice.
Thank you, Tom!
CTWF wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:13 pm
The percussive elements feel too intrusive to me. I would turn them down a little, also maybe fade them in more slowly. The clap kind of sound in particular is too strong as it seems to have some sort of a hall effect with it. For the vocals, there I would try a subtle, longer reverb.
Made some changes based on this. New version in first post. Thanks again!

===
Michael&Sharon

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: S211109LH: Feel-good instrumental cue, V3

Post by DennisPMusic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:54 am

I like the song and especially the guitar playing, nicely done.

1. I think you should consider replacing the Tamborine on 0.17. It sounds very stiff/non-organic and doesn't blend with the rest of the arrangement.
The shaker on 1.38 sounds a lot better, so use this as the main percussion part. Record the shaker yourself(if you can) or take a look at the Kontakt Library SHIMMER SHAKE.
I'm not sold on your Hand Clap sample either. Try to find one that sounds more like a real Hand Clap. It's very important that the percussion elements you're using for this type of music sound very organic.

2. You should also consider replacing the Choir synth sound at 1.10. It sounds a little like a "Casper the Friendly Ghost Choir". It clutters the sound image and doesn't add anything good to the arrangement. Use some real voice recording instead.

3. The end needs a more soft fade-out. The shaker also needs to stop if the rest of the instruments and not a beat after. The length of the song is also at max right now, so maybe cut 2-4 bars, so you can make a nicer end instead.

But I really like the song. It just needs some small adjustments😊.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: S211109LH: Feel-good instrumental cue, V4

Post by irthlingz » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Dennis - Really appreciate the specific and actionable feedback. New version in the first post. Thanks again!

===
Michael & Sharon

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:21 am

Great playin...got my toe tapping. The guitar tone "to me" sounds a little muffled?? Could be just these old ears. good stuff
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Thank you, feaker! Curious what others think ... Should we brighten up the guitar?

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:52 am

irthlingz wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:01 pm
Thank you, feaker! Curious what others think ... Should we brighten up the guitar?
Yes, or maybe first try to cut a little around 200-300hz. It's typical here where it sounds muddy.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:56 am

Good work on this piece - it's really progressed nicely and definitely fits the requirement of being upbeat and sounding like it's being performed by real musicians playing real instruments. For suggestions, the glock part gets pretty busy at times (1:14 and 1:50) which distracted me somewhat from the established motif, so maybe revisit those sections?

Well done,
Doug