johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: REVISED Stomp,Clap w/ Vocal Chants

Post by johndalenow » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:56 am

irthlingz wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 pm
Still no luck, John, sorry!

Sorry, but I've been posting enough revisions that this last one didn't make it. Thanks for the notice and here posted is the final: https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... cee20f86ce

I greatly appreciate your comments.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am

Hi John,
IMHO this version is no closer to the sound of the refs, which makes me want to repeat all of the suggestions in my earlier reply. In particular, I'd repeat the suggestion of dropping a copy of The Drum into your DAW (or any of the other refs) so you can directly compare the sounds, and perhaps find a way to update your elements until they're closer. It would be impossible to make everything the same as the refs but unless you capture something similar in terms of weight, impact, attitude and modernity, I can't help thinking that your track will be returned and will also attract the dreaded 'dated' comment.

You have a good framework, so I hope you manage to beef up the components and production somehow if you're going to submit. Good luck with it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am
Hi John,
IMHO this version is no closer to the sound of the refs, which makes me want to repeat all of the suggestions in my earlier reply. In particular, I'd repeat the suggestion of dropping a copy of The Drum into your DAW (or any of the other refs) so you can directly compare the sounds, and perhaps find a way to update your elements until they're closer. It would be impossible to make everything the same as the refs but unless you capture something similar in terms of weight, impact, attitude and modernity, I can't help thinking that your track will be returned and will also attract the dreaded 'dated' comment.

You have a good framework, so I hope you manage to beef up the components and production somehow if you're going to submit. Good luck with it.
My apologies, I sent you the wrong version. Here's the most recent, corrected one. I lost the reverb on the claps and doubled the clap tracks and made them a bit "darker." https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 07dbe05f10
Last edited by johndalenow on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:43 pm

johndalenow wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:31 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Hi John,

My apologies, I sent you the wrong version. Here's the most recent, corrected one. I lost the reverb on the claps and doubled the clap tracks and made them a bit "darker." https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... b20dbb74b4
I like the new version. I was going to say more stomp needed but listened to "superhuman" and didn't find that to be what I traditionally envision as "Stomp Clap".

I'm also outa genre so grain of salt with the comments.

Good luck!

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am

swdaze wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:43 pm
johndalenow wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:31 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Hi John,

My apologies, I sent you the wrong version. Here's the most recent, corrected one. I lost the reverb on the claps and doubled the clap tracks and made them a bit "darker." https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... b20dbb74b4
I like the new version. I was going to say more stomp needed but listened to "superhuman" and didn't find that to be what I traditionally envision as "Stomp Clap".

I'm also outa genre so grain of salt with the comments.

Good luck!

Geo
I like this even better. What's your "take?"

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 65054cfac6
Last edited by johndalenow on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm

John,
I don't know if I commented before, but I have been "following" your progress here. I do like the latest version best; it has a snappy attack to the rhythmic elements that I think was lacking before. Much closer to what I hear in the ref tracks. Nice!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:29 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:22 pm
John,
I don't know if I commented before, but I have been "following" your progress here. I do like the latest version best; it has a snappy attack to the rhythmic elements that I think was lacking before. Much closer to what I hear in the ref tracks. Nice!
Thank you, brother. I greatly appreciate your comments.

Best!

John Dale

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:39 pm

First of all, let me say that I really like this, especially the little touches like the car peeling out and the whispered "Yeah, yeah."

Second, I am completely out of my depth here, so feel free to ignore.

And finally, based both on the description in the brief and on the overall impression of the three refs, I think more distorted bass, bigger stomps and claps, and in general more of a sledge-hammer approach would be more likely to get a forward.

Good luck with it in any case!

===
Michael

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:39 pm
First of all, let me say that I really like this, especially the little touches like the car peeling out and the whispered "Yeah, yeah."

Second, I am completely out of my depth here, so feel free to ignore.

And finally, based both on the description in the brief and on the overall impression of the three refs, I think more distorted bass, bigger stomps and claps, and in general more of a sledge-hammer approach would be more likely to get a forward.

Good luck with it in any case!

===
Michael
Thank you, Michael. I appreciate you taking the time to constructively comment.

Best!

John Dale