christian music is changing ... yes or no?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MartinKoppenhoefer

christian music is changing ... yes or no?

Post by MartinKoppenhoefer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi guys, what do you think, is the current situation CHANGING the Cristian music genre - I mean
- limited possibility of congregations/church services
- social distancing / pandemic
- distraction of media
- mainstream stars like elevation/Bethel/Jesus culture , ...
- the use of social media

do you think we need more diversity in christian music?
Everything that can be bought has no real value.

Martin C K
European Composer, Songwriter and Producer, Worshipper
Working on a contemporary artful worship sound and style

smelterbox
Active
Active

Re: christian music is changing ... yes or no?

Post by smelterbox » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:50 pm

I will only toss in my opinion from my perspective - I am a worship leader with a very small (25 on average) amount of attendees per service.

I think that there has always been different levels of intimacy in CCM and worship music, and I try to write songs that can be sung congregationally as well as ministering to the individual. For our services, some songs work better than others in achieving that, but I think much of that has to do with where our focus and intentions are.

Social distancing and limited services do seem to be impacted, but I believe that the faithful still move on. The whole notion of "Superstars" may dictate trends as well as influence the few listings I have seen, but I think that they have been able to exponentially elevate the overall quality of songwriting and musicianship over the years (a plus) to the point that some Christian artists are virtually indistinguishable from secular artists (not necessarily a plus).

Not certain what you mean by diversity in Christian music - the last Dove awards had a vast array of different genres represented. While there were many not represented, I don't believe it means there isn't room for all. Some are more niche than commercial. :)