Keeping in top of all the files

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

paulkearnsmusic

Keeping in top of all the files

Post by paulkearnsmusic » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 am

Hi everyone,
I've been having a few "admin" days to keep on top of all the different versions, stems, registration details etc.
I don't know about anyone else but, as tunes "take shape", they might evolve into different versions, have the name changed, saved to different paths, listed on here and elsewhere etc etc....

I freely admit I'm not the most organised person on the planet and, whilst working on something, it's easy to keep track. But going back over a few years worth of accumulated ideas I'm wasting too much time searching through stuff.

I'm getting better at developing a more logical way of working but, trying to catalogue older stuff slow going.

There must be a simpler way.
Does anyone know of a program that could help me catalogue everything?
I need to know all the "normal" info - such as genre, name, ISCR reg, BMI details etc - but, ideally I'd like to be able also have all the file locations, alternate and working names, stem & mix details, if and where it's listed, any deals struck and the like.

Ideally, I want to be able to n go to my program and quickly see what I might have already done to fit a listing by searching on the given criteria - without having to manually search through everything.

Does such a thing exist?
Or do I have to design a database from scratch?

How do other people manage?

I know I'm not very good at admin - and I'm trying to get things under control.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Keeping in top of all the files

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:53 am

Sounds like you need Composer Catalog written by a Taxi member !

http://www.composercatalog.com/

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am

paulkearnsmusic wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:42 am
Hi everyone,
I've been having a few "admin" days to keep on top of all the different versions, stems, registration details etc.
I don't know about anyone else but, as tunes "take shape", they might evolve into different versions, have the name changed, saved to different paths, listed on here and elsewhere etc etc....

I freely admit I'm not the most organised person on the planet and, whilst working on something, it's easy to keep track. But going back over a few years worth of accumulated ideas I'm wasting too much time searching through stuff.

I'm getting better at developing a more logical way of working but, trying to catalogue older stuff slow going.

There must be a simpler way.
Does anyone know of a program that could help me catalogue everything?
I need to know all the "normal" info - such as genre, name, ISCR reg, BMI details etc - but, ideally I'd like to be able also have all the file locations, alternate and working names, stem & mix details, if and where it's listed, any deals struck and the like.

Ideally, I want to be able to n go to my program and quickly see what I might have already done to fit a listing by searching on the given criteria - without having to manually search through everything.

Does such a thing exist?
Or do I have to design a database from scratch?

How do other people manage?

I know I'm not very good at admin - and I'm trying to get things under control.

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
There was a $20-off link in the forum somewhere to a program called "composer catalog" you could check out.
http://www.composercatalog.com

I've been organizing all of my stuff through that last couple of days (I've done 70 tracks in about 3 days) It's not the most aesthetically pleasing software I've ever seen, and has it's limitations, but all in all it can do most of what you want. Once you input all the data you'll be able to search by keywords, comments, description, keys, musicians, instruments, writers, publishers, references, etc. For each track you enter you can link the latest mix (and any alt mixes) to it as well, so you can easily listen through as you search and when you click on the track you want it'll pull up the containing folder of the mix so you can easily find it and send to potential clients.

I like being able to keep a running tab of when & to whom it was pitched, when it was reworked or remixed etc. in the comments field.
If there was a way to upload it to the internet for collaborators to work on at the same time or to be able to search that would be even better.

But, if you can design something that looks really good and is better, by all means, do it! And then make it available to us.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:52 pm

Cameloide wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am
If there was a way to upload it to the internet for collaborators to work on at the same time or to be able to search that would be even better.
An online solution like this would probably have ongoing costs, so I would think it would have to be subscription-based. Do you think people would be willing to pay a monthly or yearly fee for something like this? If so, what would feel reasonable?

===
Michael

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm

irthlingz wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:52 pm
Cameloide wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am
An online solution like this would probably have ongoing costs, so I would think it would have to be subscription-based. Do you think people would be willing to pay a monthly or yearly fee for something like this? If so, what would feel reasonable?

===
Michael
I've been told Disco can be used similarly too Composer Catalog and is online, and can be searchable by supervisors that use Disco. People do pay a monthly fee, so I guess the answer is yes some people will pay whatever Disco's charging.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Composer Catalog +1 http://www.composercatalog.com/
Download a free trial. It was written by fellow Taxi member Keith LuBrant who is a terrific guy.

:D Casey