Lack of sound/sample quality???

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Lack of sound/sample quality???

Post by DennisPMusic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Taxi members

I hope you're doing well😊.
I'm generally enjoying my time with here on Taxi and 8 out of my last 10 submissions got forwarded, so that's pretty goodπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.

I got a return on my last submission for this listing: S211121BR(FEEL-GOOD, ACOUSTIC-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES)

My song for this listing:
https://www.taxi.com/members/a9Q_Ye0vSv ... -sunny-day

The listing: https://www.taxi.com/listings/S211109LH

Here is the screener's critique:
https://www.taxi.com/members/a9Q_Ye0vSv ... MXW0V5Kimw

I can agree on the repetitive part and will work on that, but what strikes me is his/she's comment on my sounds and mixing.
I consider myself a rather good mixing engineer and use a lot of time on small details. I only use high-quality instruments and samples.

So, what does my song need quality-wise?

BONUS INFO: Last month I got two of my songs forwarded via a similar listing and got both of them signed with a Hollywood library, where I used the same samples and VST instruments, and the library owner actually made some nice comments about by production quality, so I'm a little confused right nowπŸ˜‚.

I have also reached out to the head-screener here on TAXI for clarification on my return.

Best regards

Dennis

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Lack of sound/sample quality???

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Thinks depend a lot on the specific listing/client and as good as they are, screeners are humans and will not all hear things the exact same way. With 8 of 10 forwards and tracks being signed, I wouldn't worry about any one listing. You're obviously doing things right.

Happy Thanksgiving!
:D Casey

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:53 am

Casey H wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 pm
Thinks depend a lot on the specific listing/client and as good as they are, screeners are humans and will not all hear things the exact same way. With 8 of 10 forwards and tracks being signed, I wouldn't worry about any one listing. You're obviously doing things right.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Word! I got a lot of forwards from different screeners with comments like fantastic production, awesome mix, superb overall sound. One library owner received my forwards and wrote me an email saying: your tracks are very licensable but I would think about working with a mixing engineer to make the tracks sound more up to par with his idea of a good mix!
So I'm not worried about this one person if other pros consider my stuff more than good enough for the licencing business!
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 am

Sounds fine to me, heard many a library track on par with this. I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I found the bass somewhat stiff and would use a bigger, rounder, fatter type bass but that's just me.

MArk

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 am

I agree with Mark about the bass. Everything else sounds fantastic, but the bass is sounding like a keyboard. A few small adjustments should give you a more authentic sound. Excellent work.

Jeff

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 am

cosmicdolphin wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:51 am
Sounds fine to me, heard many a library track on par with this. I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I found the bass somewhat stiff and would use a bigger, rounder, fatter type bass but that's just me.

MArk
Hi Mark

Thanks for your commentsπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.
I'm generally using Trilian from Spectrasonics for my acoustic bass type of sound, and if I make it bigger and fatter, it will overpower the mix, and make the low-end too big for this type of music, but that's just my opinion. Maybe it has too much definition in the top end and it will help if I lower that😊.
I could also try to lower the low-end on the kick and give it to the bass and hear what that does for the mix😊.

Best regards

Dennis

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:58 am

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi Casey

You're totally right and thanks for your commentπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.

Best regards

Dennis

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 pm

jefflaplante wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 am
I agree with Mark about the bass. Everything else sounds fantastic, but the bass is sounding like a keyboard. A few small adjustments should give you a more authentic sound. Excellent work.

Jeff
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your commentπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘. I have an electric bass, so maybe I should try to play it like a real human beingπŸ˜‚. It would take me a little longer, but it would work better for this type of musicπŸ‘.

Best regards

Dennis

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:22 pm

It's often best not to change a thing over one screener's feedback and/or a few minor comments here. If other libraries are happy with it, ignore and move on. Opinions will always vary. Now, if a lot of reliable feedback from good sources (screeners, libraries, peers you know well here, etc.) says the same thing, might be worth considering. You obviously have sync-worthy tracks. :D Next!

DennisPMusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DennisPMusic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:22 pm
It's often best not to change a thing over one screener's feedback and/or a few minor comments here. If other libraries are happy with it, ignore and move on. Opinions will always vary. Now, if a lot of reliable feedback from good sources (screeners, libraries, peers you know well here, etc.) says the same thing, might be worth considering. You obviously have sync-worthy tracks. :D Next!
Wise words Casey, thanksπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.