We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

NEWS INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:50 pm

Hey guys -

Hoping for your feedback on this work in progress for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR5 ... aking-news

Not sure if I'm on the right track with this!

Thank you,
Doug

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of NEWS INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a U.K. Music Licensing Company with GREAT Worldwide Distribution and lots of awesome placements in Film and TV!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D211110NF, but the Company didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #D211110NF, please send different material this time around.

This Company is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

Fox News Theme Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wmMt2PT6Jg

CNN Theme Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-0SjcTL9M

ABC News Theme Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRI4URjw40U

Quoting the Company: "We're looking for Instrumentals that would work well for current affairs-based news segments, news stingers, radio news, etc."

Please send modern News Instrumentals with exciting intros that drop into engaging, textured underscores and finish out with bold stinger endings. High-quality Orchestral instrumentation paired with Electronic or Rock elements will probably be your best bet for this pitch. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are top-notch and modern. You'd be wise to stick to one motif during the underscore portion of your tracks, and create a subtle sense of dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Remember, these Instrumentals will be used under dialogue, so you don't want them to be so busy that they're distracting.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: NEWS INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by teleblaster » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 am

Great composition and production on this. It's clear that you read the specification and worked to create a piece that hit those marks. Here's a few thoughts.
- I'd consider replacing that lead patch, to my ears it's a bit 'synthy'. I think an orchestral element would work better there, like a fairly aggressive sounding string ensemble.
- Maybe provide a few edit points in the last minute? That might conflict with the last this part of the spec if you get too busy with it though: You'd be wise to stick to one motif during the underscore portion of your tracks, and create a subtle sense of dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Remember, these Instrumentals will be used under dialogue, so you don't want them to be so busy that they're distracting.

Great work, and hope this helps.
Erich

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm

I agree with Erich's comments, good and bad.
Let me add that since this cue is a "donut" application, after the initial theme/stinger (whatever you call it when it is at the head of a cue), don't rely on the audio engineer to duck the track, but bring it down to underscore level for the duration. Dropping out the lead instrument gets you halfway there, any additional gain reduction is a much-appreciated gift to the broadcast staff.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi Douglas, Nice job! Here's just a few thoughts that crossed my mind on listening.
- As teleblaster said, maybe sticking with orchestral elements rather than including synths might help. They're timeless so will never risk sounding dated, although I accept that the 3rd ref is synth-based.
- The drums have a military flavour, which might be perfectly fine, but none of the refs gave me that impression. I just wonder whether it would help to go more mainstream orchestral rather than military? Not sure.

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I wish you good luck with the track.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Good direction! Would add to the above mentioned that some elements like the midrange eights strings are not quite in sync with the drums. Its not groovin‘ a 100% . Good luck 🍀
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Nice cue! :D 8-)

I'm not sure I'm hearing "news" as opposed to an excellent suspense/tension cue. The lines are a bit blurry, I know. I think if it was my submission, I'd want it to scream "NEWS". Had I listened, not knowing it was a news cue listing, not sure how I would have heard it.

Nevertheless... Great cue and if it doesn't get the nod here, it will find a good home.

Best,
:D Casey

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:34 pm

teleblaster wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 am
Great composition and production on this. It's clear that you read the specification and worked to create a piece that hit those marks. Here's a few thoughts.
- I'd consider replacing that lead patch, to my ears it's a bit 'synthy'. I think an orchestral element would work better there, like a fairly aggressive sounding string ensemble.
- Maybe provide a few edit points in the last minute? That might conflict with the last this part of the spec if you get too busy with it though: You'd be wise to stick to one motif during the underscore portion of your tracks, and create a subtle sense of dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Remember, these Instrumentals will be used under dialogue, so you don't want them to be so busy that they're distracting.

Great work, and hope this helps.
Erich
Great feedback, thanks for listening - much appreciated! This is a new genre for me, so I'm really relying on everyone's input to have a shot at a forward here. Either way, it's a great learning experience, so thanks again, Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 pm
I agree with Erich's comments, good and bad.
Let me add that since this cue is a "donut" application, after the initial theme/stinger (whatever you call it when it is at the head of a cue), don't rely on the audio engineer to duck the track, but bring it down to underscore level for the duration. Dropping out the lead instrument gets you halfway there, any additional gain reduction is a much-appreciated gift to the broadcast staff.
Thanks for your insight, Alan, I really appreciate it and will take it into account as I continue to work on this. All the best! Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:32 pm
Hi Douglas, Nice job! Here's just a few thoughts that crossed my mind on listening.
- As teleblaster said, maybe sticking with orchestral elements rather than including synths might help. They're timeless so will never risk sounding dated, although I accept that the 3rd ref is synth-based.
- The drums have a military flavour, which might be perfectly fine, but none of the refs gave me that impression. I just wonder whether it would help to go more mainstream orchestral rather than military? Not sure.

Anyway, just my thoughts, and I wish you good luck with the track.
I really appreciate your feedback on this -- will continue working on it and will give your ideas a try. Many thanks, Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:40 pm

melodea wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Good direction! Would add to the above mentioned that some elements like the midrange eights strings are not quite in sync with the drums. Its not groovin‘ a 100% . Good luck 🍀
Thanks for the encouragement and input! Yes, I hear that too with the 8th notes and will work to fix asap. All the best, DK