We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BuzzReed
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback on Pop Instrumental Cue

Post by BuzzReed » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:26 am

Hi All

I'd like to submit to this listing so I'd love your feedback on my track, You Want Me.

https://www.taxi.com/members/f0TzENkiSJ ... u-want-me
I'm wondering about the "preference for composers who understand music licensing companies etc." though. I don't have any library placements. I've read up on it and have negotiated all kinds of contracts in my music career so I'm going to chance it. Any tips on that would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Paul Wainwright

FRESH, YOUTHFUL POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Commercials, Advertisements, and TV Programming aimed at a younger audience.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D211029FY, but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #D211029FY, please send different material this time around.

TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4zzco4wr4534 ... AvhNa?dl=0

Quoting the Library: "We're looking for upbeat, young, fresh, and current-sounding Pop Cues. Your pieces can have some funky influences, but they should be clearly current pop – positive, young, and fresh. Basically, take the sounds, ideas, and motifs of current Pop songs on the charts and put them into the production music format."

Please send fun, fresh Pop Instrumental Cues with polished production and cutting-edge virtual instruments and samples. Craft your Cues around ONE CENTRAL MOTIF and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Modern Pop instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best. Some non-lyric vocal parts like "oohs," "ahhs," etc. could help add some extra energy to your tracks. They're not a requirement, but some of the references they gave have them, so listen to see how they've used them!

TAXI Tip: Although this Library is looking for youthful music, they do NOT want Cues that are childish. Think fun, fresh, and upbeat – not nursery rhymes!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request. Also, if you're an experienced producer that can deliver the goods in this genre, they're especially interested in hearing what you can do!

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, November 30th, 2021. TAXI # S211130ES

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Feedback on Pop Instrumental Cue

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 am

Very fun, funky, and well-produced. Nice breakdown sections and edit points. If anything, there could be even more dynamic variation between the 3 main sections, since they sound very similar. Wishing you good luck with this one! DK

BuzzReed
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BuzzReed » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 am
Very fun, funky, and well-produced. Nice breakdown sections and edit points. If anything, there could be even more dynamic variation between the 3 main sections, since they sound very similar. Wishing you good luck with this one! DK
Douglas

Thanks for checking out this track. I’d agree about the similarity, but they specifically ask for no B section and all of their 5 references are like that. Weird huh?

Paul

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 am

Hi, I like the track! Since I know the guy behind this particular library here‘s my tip: there are to many ideas in to short amount of time. Develop the track around ONE motif especially since it‘s a CUE. The vocal adlibs are def over the top, and not underscore friendly. The uuhs and aahs mentioned in the listing should support the one motif I mentioned. Listen closely to the references and use them as a blueprint for this specific company.
Good luck 🍀
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

BuzzReed
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BuzzReed » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:19 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:23 pm
BuzzReed wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:26 am
I'm wondering about the "preference for composers who understand music licensing companies etc." though. I don't have any library placements. I've read up on it and have negotiated all kinds of contracts in my music career so I'm going to chance it. Any tips on that would also be appreciated.
Essentially, they want you to sign the contract and don't bother them with any questions. So, the best situation is if you can deal with them on a one-stop basis (no other people need to sign, but of course you are responsible to put their shares down according to the splits agreement), you sign it, that's it. Wait for royalties, or not, and never bother them about this specific track anymore. :)

Tom
Tom

Direct and to the point - I love it! Thanks for this succinct and helpful insight.

Paul

BuzzReed
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BuzzReed » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:23 pm

melodea wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 am
Hi, I like the track! Since I know the guy behind this particular library here‘s my tip: there are to many ideas in to short amount of time. Develop the track around ONE motif especially since it‘s a CUE. The vocal adlibs are def over the top, and not underscore friendly. The uuhs and aahs mentioned in the listing should support the one motif I mentioned. Listen closely to the references and use them as a blueprint for this specific company.
Good luck 🍀
Melodea

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I'll make a re-do with your suggestions in mind and see if I can nail it.

Paul