Re: Dystopian Xmas Cue

Post by johndalenow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:03 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am
johndalenow wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 pm
John Dale
Hey John

I know you want Matt's input, not mine, but it seems to me that you did not do what Telefunkin and Matt advised you to do, because I still hear three different cues.
Also, why would you want a 3-part structure in a cue? This is not supposed to be a trailer, I presume.
I think Matt is spot on with taking the first 3rd, expanding it, but trench the bells in reverb and put them way in the background.

Tom
What do you think of this remake, Tom? https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... ba7660d615

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Dystopian Xmas Cue

Post by johndalenow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:04 am

CTWF wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 am
johndalenow wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:03 am
What do you think of this remake, Tom? https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... ba7660d615
The waveform clearly shows three sections, and I also hear them. That in itself is not a bad thing, but I do think that the major shift in instrumentation and lushness after the first third does not help the track. I would try to keep the instrumentation and "feel" of the first part as much as possible and only subtly add more - such as strings, yes, but more in the backgrund.

HTH,
Tom
Thank you for your help, Tom. I will make a few adjustments. Best! John Dale

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Dystopian Xmas Cue (Remake)

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:32 pm

Hey John, well, you've gone from having four distinct pieces in this track, to having three. Haha, so I guess you're getting there!

I don't believe this listing asked for "3 act trailer style structure".... if it did, then I missed it. Unless specified otherwise, cues should always stick to one motif & emotion throughout.

EDIT: I didn't see the most recent uploads. Well, they're better, but still definitely "different" pieces. The lushness and overall vibe doesn't match the opening section (which, by the way, is still the strongest and has the most chance of success).

~~Matt

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:32 pm
Hey John, well, you've gone from having four distinct pieces in this track, to having three. Haha, so I guess you're getting there!

I don't believe this listing asked for "3 act trailer style structure".... if it did, then I missed it. Unless specified otherwise, cues should always stick to one motif & emotion throughout.

EDIT: I didn't see the most recent uploads. Well, they're better, but still definitely "different" pieces. The lushness and overall vibe doesn't match the opening section (which, by the way, is still the strongest and has the most chance of success).

~~Matt
Thanks for your kind attention, Matt. Here is the one I was thinking of submitting. : https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 55e245189f. Happy Holidays and thanks again. Best!

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:27 pm
johndalenow wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:02 pm
Thanks for your kind attention, Matt. Here is the one I was thinking of submitting. : https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... 55e245189f. Happy Holidays and thanks again. Best!
Again, it's just me, not Matt, but I think this is the best version so far, even though there still is the big break after the first 3rd.

The strings feel a little dry to me.

Tom
Thanks, Tom, and good luck to us both!