Just wanted to add something about feel..

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Just wanted to add something about feel..

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:33 pm

I think I accidentally did that with my Dark Bring a Torch. Just slightly off-meter, but it breathes. At least, I hope it does! :)
As being one who avoids quantization like the plague (mostly working with acoustic instruments, anyway, so far), I've had more trouble staying ON the beat than being too strictly beat-driven. :D

That's a great tip, and I plan to keep it in my toolbox from now on. (Sorry, Peter/funsongs! :lol: )

Cheers,
Merry

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Depnds what genre you are writing, some are better with everything locked to the grid

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Depnds what genre you are writing, some are better with everything locked to the grid
I'd think that would be especially true with EDM! :D
Merry

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:33 pm
I think I accidentally did that with my Dark Bring a Torch. Just slightly off-meter, but it breathes. At least, I hope it does! :)
As being one who avoids quantization like the plague (mostly working with acoustic instruments, anyway, so far), I've had more trouble staying ON the beat than being too strictly beat-driven. :D

That's a great tip, and I plan to keep it in my toolbox from now on. (Sorry, Peter/funsongs! :lol: )

Cheers,
Merry
For sure Merry! Some songs you listen back to and they sound so stiff. Especially when going for an organic feel using VSTs. To me you just have to move some notes back manually to loosen things up.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:28 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Yep Mark. I should have put a qualifier in my original statement. I was mostly commenting on listings calling for an organic feel.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:39 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm
For sure Merry! Some songs you listen back to and they sound so stiff. Especially when going for an organic feel using VSTs. To me you just have to move some notes back manually to loosen things up.
That's a good tip, too! I'm still learning how to use the VSTs, so moving notes around a bit to loosen them up sounds like it will make them sound more human! :)

Merry

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:39 pm
JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm
That's a good tip, too! I'm still learning how to use the VSTs, so moving notes around a bit to loosen them up sounds like it will make them sound more human! :)

Merry
yep, I snap to the grid and then move notes selectively. Especially if it's a repeating melody in a higher register. A higher register that's quantized seems to stick out more to my ears. And it doesn't take much note movement at all to change that.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:52 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:47 pm
yep, I snap to the grid and then move notes selectively. Especially if it's a repeating melody in a higher register. A higher register that's quantized seems to stick out more to my ears. And it doesn't take much note movement at all to change that.
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to learning my VSTs and applying everything I learned from the Rally session with Randon Purcell! :)

Merry

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:46 pm
Merryband1 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:52 pm
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to learning my VSTs and applying everything I learned from the Rally session with Randon Purcell! :)

Merry
As Paulie pointed out, there is software to humanize MIDI tracks.

I always humanize (randomize) time AND velocity if appropriate (the genre, I mean). But before doing that, I might "humanize" manually.
Randomization is not necessarily humanization, so, one has to be careful. There are sophisticated plugins that utilize distributions, but you
got to pay for them (so I don't have them).

Tom
Yeah good point Tom. Velocity is something I always change too. I’m not a piano/keyboard player but you can always make something sound better by adjusting velocity. Horn hits are usually harder/louder on the first note cuz the player has air lol. Not so much at the end of a riff.

And to humanizing I’ve used it in Logic but it’s almost always “too random” for me. I like to just listen to the melody and it becomes evident which notes need to be softened.
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com