One more dystopian Christmas cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

One more dystopian Christmas cue

Post by BrentI » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi all! I really appreciated all the feedback I received on my last dystopian Christmas cue. Here's one more that I composed for this listing. I realize the submission deadline is tomorrow, but if anyone has any feedback, I'm all ears! Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Note: not a final mix!

https://soundcloud.com/brentisom/sing-w ... 43ec29a031

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Re: One more dystopian Christmas cue

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Lovely arrangement, Brent! It has a really good feel to it!

I wondered about the wind effect in the first segment... I wasn't sure if you meant it for a windy background, or if it was some kind of sound problem. If you removed that and maybe substituted a little echo-y effect... Just a thought. I'll wait to see what more experienced ears have to say! (Wind could work in some scenes, but it might limit the usage.)

What vocal VST are you using? I thought the choir sounded very realistic! :)

Best wishes,
Merry

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:39 pm

If Tom Waits were to do a Christmas carol, this would be it! I'm not sure you need the pink noise/wind in the first section.

edit: I see that Merry mentioned the wind noise. IMHO the plaintive piano is fine on its own.

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Merryband1 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:23 pm
Lovely arrangement, Brent! It has a really good feel to it!

I wondered about the wind effect in the first segment... I wasn't sure if you meant it for a windy background, or if it was some kind of sound problem. If you removed that and maybe substituted a little echo-y effect... Just a thought. I'll wait to see what more experienced ears have to say! (Wind could work in some scenes, but it might limit the usage.)

What vocal VST are you using? I thought the choir sounded very realistic! :)

Best wishes,
Merry
Thanks for the great input, Merry. That's a good point about the wind. I didn't consider how it might affect the usability.

The voices are from the Olympus Micro Choir from Soundiron. I was concerned about that, so I'm glad you think it sounds okay.

Thanks again!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:24 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:39 pm
If Tom Waits were to do a Christmas carol, this would be it! I'm not sure you need the pink noise/wind in the first section.

edit: I see that Merry mentioned the wind noise. IMHO the plaintive piano is fine on its own.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear the consistent opinion about the wind. Thanks for listening!

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:36 pm

BrentI wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Thanks for the great input, Merry. That's a good point about the wind. I didn't consider how it might affect the usability.

The voices are from the Olympus Micro Choir from Soundiron. I was concerned about that, so I'm glad you think it sounds okay.

Thanks again!
You're welcome, and thanks for the info about the Micro Choir! :)
Since watching so much TAXI TV, usability is one of the main things I think about these days! I made some interesting mistakes in my drone cue that kept it from being forwarded, and some of the sounds I put in probably contributed to that! :D

Cheers, and I hope you get it mixed in time to submit! :)
Merry

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:46 am

Definitely remove the wind effect, because that totally limits the possible uses of your tune. I once had a return because I added the mechanism sound of a music box, and the comment was that music editors will add that sort of noises and stuff themselves. Other than that, great tune!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:24 am

superkons wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:46 am
Definitely remove the wind effect, because that totally limits the possible uses of your tune. I once had a return because I added the mechanism sound of a music box, and the comment was that music editors will add that sort of noises and stuff themselves. Other than that, great tune!
Thanks for sharing! No wind...got it!

I appreciate you taking the time to listen!