:lol: Casey

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Elevator pitches

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:23 pm

superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:09 pm

There was one TaxiTV where ML gave his story of actually giving his elevator pitch to Richard Branson CEO of Virgin, in a coincidental elevator ride. That's really cool.
Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:11 am
I'm sure ML didn't just run up to Branson and start 'selling' himself.
Yes, metaphorically and not so metaphorically, he did. Review the very entertaining taxi-tv episode where he tells the story in full.

An elevator-pitch is named as such because it is modeled after what happens exactly in an elevator and must last no longer than the typical amount of time it takes to traverse to the destination floor.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:23 pm
... exactly in an elevator and must last no longer than ....
I don't think the definition was lost on anyone, but again, why so prescriptive? I hope we all continue to meet people in places other than elevators :).

Sadly, not everyone is as friendly as Mr Branson would appear to be. Good luck trying your 'elevator' pitch with someone like Larry David's character on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. He'd probably say that you're doing nothing more than attempting to 'elevate' yourself :).

The whole point is that there might be no more than a few seconds to make an impression, so it helps to be concise and succinct, but what you say and for how long can be adjusted according to the circumstances. If the other party is sufficiently interested they might invite you to elaborate, which could turn into lunch, or grow into a life-long friendship. Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so, and I can't see why its so worthy of analysis for anyone with a voice and something to say, but more importantly, with the ability to listen an interact graciously.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:50 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so,
Then it seems you disagree with about a million+ business/marketing/entrepreneur textbooks written by various experts which detail the specific techniques of this.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 am

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:50 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so,
Then it seems you disagree with about a million+ business/marketing/entrepreneur textbooks written by various experts which detail the specific techniques of this.
I have a mind of my own, and they're trying to sell books :). It seems you disagree with those textbooks too, otherwise you'd already have all the answers that work for you. Personally, I'm glad that life is an extremely rich tapestry of interactive experiences with multi million+ variations, and thank goodness the human condition can't be summed up in a few pages on a shelf, but I don't need a prescriptive instruction set to say 'hi' to a stranger. Its as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:02 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 am
Its as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it.
Exactly!