:lol: Casey

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Elevator pitches

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:23 pm

superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:09 pm

There was one TaxiTV where ML gave his story of actually giving his elevator pitch to Richard Branson CEO of Virgin, in a coincidental elevator ride. That's really cool.
Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:11 am
I'm sure ML didn't just run up to Branson and start 'selling' himself.
Yes, metaphorically and not so metaphorically, he did. Review the very entertaining taxi-tv episode where he tells the story in full.

An elevator-pitch is named as such because it is modeled after what happens exactly in an elevator and must last no longer than the typical amount of time it takes to traverse to the destination floor.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:23 pm
... exactly in an elevator and must last no longer than ....
I don't think the definition was lost on anyone, but again, why so prescriptive? I hope we all continue to meet people in places other than elevators :).

Sadly, not everyone is as friendly as Mr Branson would appear to be. Good luck trying your 'elevator' pitch with someone like Larry David's character on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. He'd probably say that you're doing nothing more than attempting to 'elevate' yourself :).

The whole point is that there might be no more than a few seconds to make an impression, so it helps to be concise and succinct, but what you say and for how long can be adjusted according to the circumstances. If the other party is sufficiently interested they might invite you to elaborate, which could turn into lunch, or grow into a life-long friendship. Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so, and I can't see why its so worthy of analysis for anyone with a voice and something to say, but more importantly, with the ability to listen an interact graciously.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:50 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so,
Then it seems you disagree with about a million+ business/marketing/entrepreneur textbooks written by various experts which detail the specific techniques of this.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 am

superblonde wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:50 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm
Is it anything more than the art of conversation though? I don't think so,
Then it seems you disagree with about a million+ business/marketing/entrepreneur textbooks written by various experts which detail the specific techniques of this.
I have a mind of my own, and they're trying to sell books :). It seems you disagree with those textbooks too, otherwise you'd already have all the answers that work for you. Personally, I'm glad that life is an extremely rich tapestry of interactive experiences with multi million+ variations, and thank goodness the human condition can't be summed up in a few pages on a shelf, but I don't need a prescriptive instruction set to say 'hi' to a stranger. Its as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:02 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 am
Its as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it.
Exactly!

glogleemusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by glogleemusic » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:38 am

Casey H wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:32 am
As Cosmic said, if you meet someone, just make normal conversation.

THAT BEING SAID, it is a good idea to know who you are and be able sum it up in a short amount of time/words. That goes for your website and bio as well. So the elevator pitch practice has value.

:D Casey

I don't feel like I have the perspective about myself to say what people want to hear. When I hear other people talk about me to other people, I know I would never use their words. But they say it quickly and clearly so it is understood and the 3rd party is left nodding their head and saying, "really? cool!"

So how do we traverse the chasm of humility and facts?
Dan Gillogly
You Will Look Good B'cuz We Sound Good!
https://soundcloud.com/gloglee
http://dancgillogly.com/

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:02 am

TBH, I think this whole subject is way overblown and talked about too much. As I mentioned earlier, 95% or more of your communications will be virtual. On the small odds that you do an elevator ride with a music exec, the last thing you should do is start blabbering about yourself. And if that person asks what you do, a simple "I write cues for Film/TV" or similar is enough, a sales pitch is not appreciated. If you end up hanging at the bar with someone like that, do not talk about yourself or your music at all unless asked. And again, the short answer above is fine. If they want more info, a business card with your website URL is a good idea. Don't press. They've had a long day and want to chill.

It's probably more important to have a decent bio on your website(s)- concise, not your whole life story. If someone visits your website, what do you want them to read that will keep them there? It's like the start of a song-- you want the listener to be drawn in and not click to the next. Not meaning to change the subject to bios, that can be a whole different thread. Just pointing out that IMHO WAY too much time is spent on this subject.

Also, this topic goes hand in hand with expectations for people who attend a rally. If your main purpose is to meet music execs and be "discovered", you may walk away disappointed. The rally is about learning and getting to know your peers (future collaborators) as much as anything else. Yes, some great connections do get made with execs. But don't go to the rally with the main purpose of meeting these folks as you are one of thousands there and they get hit up all the time.

:D Casey

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:30 am

Good jokes however, are invaluable! Just don't put them into your elevator pitch.. :D
Ceo of my own life