Asking for more ALT-ROCK feedback!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Asking for more ALT-ROCK feedback!

Post by BrentI » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:20 am

Happy New Year! I've composed another alt-rock piece that I'm planning to submit to this listing. I just realized it's a little long, so aside from the length, I'd love to get some thoughts. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/brentisom/walkin ... al_sharing
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lots of RHYTHMIC ALT-ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a great Publisher with an awesome track record of really big placements in TV Commercials!

This Publisher is looking for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could fit stylistically on a playlist with the following examples:

"BOOM" by X Ambassadors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QRfy6xzv0

"A Good Song Never Dies" by SAINT MOTEL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29fcv5E52Y

"Dangerous" by Big Data feat. Joywave - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQArtCeXTk

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch. Some non-lyrical vocals like "ahs," "woahs," etc. are okay to include – just don't overdo them!

Please send modern Alt-Rock Instrumentals with engaging rhythms and catchy motifs/riffs. Instrumentation that's generally similar to the references will suit your submissions best – think driving bass lines, solid drums, cool guitar riffs, and maybe a touch of synths. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are slick, modern, and high-quality.

Submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Asking for more ALT-ROCK feedback!

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:04 pm

Very nice composition and playing on this track. It's got nice variety as well. You could give the bass even more edge/overdrive, in my opinion, but sounds really good as is. Well done!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:55 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:04 pm
Very nice composition and playing on this track. It's got nice variety as well. You could give the bass even more edge/overdrive, in my opinion, but sounds really good as is. Well done!
Thanks Douglas! I appreciate your input!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:35 pm

I've listened a couple times. These are my reactions:
1. Before reading Douglas's reply I had about the same reaction to the bass. could be a bit more 'bright' to match up better with the great, in-the-face, drums. Saturation? EQ? Something to give the bass a bit more aural traction.
2. Why walking? I see people dancing, hopping, bopping, etc. etc. - you get the idea. Titling is very important when the library or music supe may decide before even giving a 7-second listen whether to pass on a cue. IMO the title doesn't match the music; If I was excited about the title (and for a certain scene, I might be) I could be put off by the very extroverted music. Conversely, the music may be GOLD for a scene, but the title doesn't communicate the music's mood.
3. I know I'm typing as if I know something, but try this: come up with a couple emotion descriptors (keywords) for the music, then make a title that perfectly matches the mood/emotion of the keywords. Take 2 to 5 minutes. It may be a useful exercise!