Quirky EDM - Feedback appreciated

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Quirky EDM - Feedback appreciated

Post by jefflaplante » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:31 am

Writing specifically to listings has been a game-changer for me, as my forwards have increased exponentially after changing my approach to TAXI.

Here is a track that I wrote for the QUIRKY EDM listing. I am pleased with the way this one is shaping up, and I feel I have done a pretty good job of replicating the vibe of the first reference track. My concern here is that it may not be "quirky" enough. Should I consider revising this one or do you think I am good to go? Would love your honest opinion. Thank you so much in advance.

Here is my track:
https://soundcloud.com/jeff303/feeling- ... al_sharing

Here is the listing:
QUIRKY, PLAYFUL EDM INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a boutique Music Library that gets tons of placements in TV Shows!

This Library wants Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references we got directly from them:

"Disco Dance" by FASSounds

"Aww Shucks" by Michael Baiardi

Please submit modern EDM Instrumental Cues that could establish an overall fun, quirky, and playful feel in a range of scenes. Your submissions should have slick beats and polished production. Craft your Cues around a singular motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Instrumentation in the general style of the references will suit your submissions best.

This Library is open to hearing Cues with "some very light Trap or Hip-Hop beats" incorporated into your pieces as well – as long as the overall feel remains rooted in the EDM genre. Your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be high-quality and current-sounding.

Your submissions should be approximately 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

simonparker123

Re: Quirky EDM - Feedback appreciated

Post by simonparker123 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:30 am

Great sounding track. I just don’t think it’s “quirky” enough for this listing. Your instincts are correct and given the care you put in the production, I’m confident you’ll be able to add a lead synth with the sound you’ll need. Best of luck.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:26 pm

jefflaplante wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:31 am
My concern here is that it may not be "quirky" enough. Should I consider revising this one or do you think I am good to go? Would love your honest opinion.
A more presssing concern for me is that it doesn't sound like an EDM track. it hasn't got the solid rhythmic foundation of the ref tracks ( i.e. drums are not EDM style..not they they have to be four to the floor all the time but it's a safe bet if you do ) and the track sounds like it's in a major key when the vast majoirty of EDM is written in a minor key.

Then there's the production that dosen't sound it's using any of the common EDM techniques like sidechaining , filter sweeps etc. and there's no real hooks here either rhythmically or melodically, it's all quite safe an plodding. The net result is It sounds more like a late 80s- early 90s synth pop type track...like Erasure or something of that ilk. Definitely not EDM though.

And not quirky either. Overall I would say it sounds like you've never really listened to any EDM and if you want to get into libraries with it the bar is much higher and there is much to learn.

Mark

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:25 pm

LOL...thanks Mark, and you are absolutely right. I do not listen to EDM and I'm not familiar with what it requires and I have no business composing in this genre. I thought I would try my hand at matching the vibe of the reference track, but I suppose I've missed many of the EDM nuances that define that genre. I thought that the major key would be the quirky element...guess not. Chalking this one up to a learning experience and won't be submitting. Appreciate the listen and the honesty, as I hold you in very high regard. Cheers!

Jeff