New music worth producing?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Marthienel

New music worth producing?

Post by Marthienel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:22 pm

Hello
I am new to Taxi and I have been working on music for sync licensing(songs and instrumentals) and I need an objective set of ears to help me decide if what I have is worth producing. I am considering singer-songwriter/folk for now to get my production chops up to standard. If someone is interested in producing that would also be an option. I like writing lyrics, melodies, top-lining. I have an alto/mezzo voice and play piano.
Marthie Nel Hauptfleisch
#WomanOnFire

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Re: New music worth producing?

Post by jefflaplante » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:19 am

Where can we hear some of your music?

Jeff

Marthienel

Post by Marthienel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:05 am

HI @jefflaplante
Here is a link to a song I am currently considering submitting for a listing TAXI # S220419RA.
https://youtu.be/YXFjX8sQ9S8
Holy Ground

The day after you leave
The sun will come up
The sun will go down
And where you walked I will declare
Holy ground

The day after you leave
I’ll listen for your car
I’ll listen for your call
And there will only be the silence
No more sound

The day after you leave
I’ll pretend it’s not a big deal
That you are leaving me behind
And now I will be grieving
How long? Who knows does how long lasts
Will I miss and keep the memories
Of a man who walked on Holy ground

Marthienel

Post by Marthienel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:06 am

jefflaplante wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:19 am
Where can we hear some of your music?

Jeff
(I am new to the forum so still checking out how the conversations threads play out)
HI @jefflaplante
Here is a link to a song I am currently considering submitting for a listing TAXI # S220419RA.
https://youtu.be/YXFjX8sQ9S8
Holy Ground

The day after you leave
The sun will come up
The sun will go down
And where you walked I will declare
Holy ground

The day after you leave
I’ll listen for your car
I’ll listen for your call
And there will only be the silence
No more sound

The day after you leave
I’ll pretend it’s not a big deal
That you are leaving me behind
And now I will be grieving
How long? Who knows does how long lasts
Will I miss and keep the memories
Of a man who walked on Holy ground

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 am

Very pretty. :D As a song, it needs a chorus or B section (chorus preferred), right now it's more AAA (verse-verse-verse). When you say "worth producing", do you mean investing money in a demo service or producing on your own? It's not ready YET to invest money in. It's a really nice START to something that could be a good sad ballad.

This listing asked for contemporary styles (how do you envision this in a contemporary style, e.g. what artist(s) styles would you emulate?), hooky choruses, and mentioned that romantic broken heart was NOT what they were looking for. So it really doesn't meet this listing's criteria.

Best,
:D Casey
A Wide Range of DARK CURRENT-Sounding SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a successful Music Licensing Company with a GREAT track record of placements!

NOTE: We purposely avoided putting references in this Listing, as we felt they could potentially be more misleading or limiting than helpful. This company is only interested in hearing contemporary Songs in the following popular genres: Pop, Rock, Alternative, Dance, EDM, Indie Pop or Rock, Singer-Songwriter, Rap/Hip-Hop, and R&B.

Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs tend to be more easily placed; but if you have really strong Ballads or Down-Tempo Songs, those could also work in this context.

Quoting the Company: "We are looking for Songs with dark lyrical themes. Some keyword examples of themes we are looking for are: loss, confusion, anger, frustration, mixed emotions, disappointment, questioning, loneliness, isolation, broken heart (NOT romantic), abandonment, obstacles, getting knocked down, impossible odds, hopelessness."

Please send contemporary Songs in popular genres that have an overall dark vibe and sound. Your submissions should have engaging melodies, hooky choruses, excellent arrangements, and well-crafted lyrics that portray the dark themes outlined by the Company. Your approach to production should be modern and can range from stripped-down to more full-blown production, depending on the genre. Whichever approach you decide to take, please be sure your instrumentation is genre-appropriate and generally competitive with other Songs in your chosen genre. Your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be polished, high-quality, and cutting-edge. Confident, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

TAXI Tip: Keeping your lyrics on the simpler, more universal side could make your Songs more "sync-friendly."

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD, and please include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, April 19th, 2022. TAXI # S220419RA

Marthienel

Post by Marthienel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:37 am

Casey H wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:11 am
Very pretty. :D As a song, it needs a chorus or B section (chorus preferred), right now it's more AAA (verse-verse-verse). When you say "worth producing", do you mean investing money in a demo service or producing on your own? It's not ready YET to invest money in. It's a really nice START to something that could be a good sad ballad.

This listing asked for contemporary styles (how do you envision this in a contemporary style, e.g. what artist(s) styles would you emulate?), hooky choruses, and mentioned that romantic broken heart was NOT what they were looking for. So it really doesn't meet this listing's criteria.

Best,
:D Casey
A Wide Range of DARK CURRENT-Sounding SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a successful Music Licensing Company with a GREAT track record of placements!

NOTE: We purposely avoided putting references in this Listing, as we felt they could potentially be more misleading or limiting than helpful. This company is only interested in hearing contemporary Songs in the following popular genres: Pop, Rock, Alternative, Dance, EDM, Indie Pop or Rock, Singer-Songwriter, Rap/Hip-Hop, and R&B.

Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs tend to be more easily placed; but if you have really strong Ballads or Down-Tempo Songs, those could also work in this context.

Quoting the Company: "We are looking for Songs with dark lyrical themes. Some keyword examples of themes we are looking for are: loss, confusion, anger, frustration, mixed emotions, disappointment, questioning, loneliness, isolation, broken heart (NOT romantic), abandonment, obstacles, getting knocked down, impossible odds, hopelessness."

Please send contemporary Songs in popular genres that have an overall dark vibe and sound. Your submissions should have engaging melodies, hooky choruses, excellent arrangements, and well-crafted lyrics that portray the dark themes outlined by the Company. Your approach to production should be modern and can range from stripped-down to more full-blown production, depending on the genre. Whichever approach you decide to take, please be sure your instrumentation is genre-appropriate and generally competitive with other Songs in your chosen genre. Your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use should be polished, high-quality, and cutting-edge. Confident, well-performed vocals could be the cherry on top!

TAXI Tip: Keeping your lyrics on the simpler, more universal side could make your Songs more "sync-friendly."

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD, and please include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, April 19th, 2022. TAXI # S220419RA
Thank you for taking the time to reply, listen, and share your views I appreciate it. Sounds like I'll have to write another song then. This is more a refrain song then verse, chorus, verse chorus, bridge, chorus. I thought it could work for settings that are not romantic as well.
I am focusing on singer-songwriter styles for now: voice and piano: sad ballads with voice and piano: that is as contemporary as I am going to get now (Adele-ish). I am producing myself: I've done all the courses now I have to put in the work.
xxx Marthie

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08 pm

I think this song is worth producing, but what Casey said is true. It would definitely work for a singer/songwriter indie sort of thing. Just be sure it matches the references.

one note, the piece is much more bright musically than I would pitch for this listing. Maybe transpose it to a minor key and see what happens.

Hope this helps

Michael