Active
Active

Neo-Soul feedback

Post by ballereau » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:20 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to get some feedback on this track

Thanks Larry

https://soundcloud.com/user-670503092/c ... al_sharing

NEO-SOUL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Licensing Company that lands placements on hundreds of shows on Major Networks every year!

NOTE: The placements generated from this Company will likely have good royalty payouts on the backend since they will mostly be on Major Network Shows. Sounds great to us!

This Company is on the hunt for Mid-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Tadow" by Masego & FKJ

"The List" by Moonchild

"Key to Love (Is Understanding)" by BADBADNOTGOOD feat. Jonah Yano

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit fresh Neo-Soul Instrumental Cues with groovy rhythms, solid instrumentation that's generally similar to the references, and an overall cool, laid-back vibe. Craft your Cues around a singular soulful motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production should be polished; and if you plan on using any virtual instruments or samples, they should be super high-quality and modern.

NOTE: Music in this genre can be on the slower side, but this Company has told us that they do NOT want anything that's too slow or sluggish. Keep your tracks in the Mid-Tempo range like the references.

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Sunday, January 9th, 2022. TAXI # S220109NS

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Neo-Soul feedback

Post by funsongs » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:45 pm

Sounds good & solid to my ears. :? :P
Good luck with the pitch.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:46 am

Hi Larry

This is solid work. Nevertheless, it doesn't fit on a playlist with the references. Your track is too fast for being neo-soul (Listing: "overall cool, laid-back vibe"), the instrumentation sounds dated for that style (Listing: "solid instrumentation that's generally similar to the references").
I think for an instrumental track which hopefully will be placed on TV the top level is too busy (melodies &solos) and doesn't leave enough room for dialog.
There aren't any clear edit points! Think of 8 bar parts that can be put together in any kind of way (that's what editors will do!) and it works (Lego)!

Hope that helps, Good luck!

Cheers Chris
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 am

Nice track to my ears and listening but I am pretty sure you are going to get the dreaded "outdated instruments", if you can replace some of the sounds with more current sounding ones then it has more of a chance to be forwarded.
As for the vibe it is groovy but not sure if it is relaxed.

I have sent stuff like this that I had for similar listings like this one and that's what I got from the screener so just trying to share my past experience.

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:17 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I know Neo Soul uses Rhodes.
Always a fine line with "Modern"

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:30 pm

Thanks Chris,
the tempo is matching one of the references but I get the other stuff.Modern! That is always the buzz word !

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 am

I love this, but I don't think the screeners will, for this listing. Reminds me of Spyro Gyra, which is amazing...but not for neo-soul.

Jeff

ballereau
Active
Active

Post by ballereau » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:10 pm

Thanks Jeff,
I get it!
sometimes it is really hard to pitch..
I just got a return from a sad piano cue that the screener really like but I put a lilies chorus vocal line at the end to build it and he said that took away from the cue.
not easy! Hate to get the response "this is really close" but its the same as not close! I guess!

Thanks