Six Year Update

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Six Year Update

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:39 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:25 am
Still your earnings has dropped at the same time, can you explain this?
Has the new placements not been accounted for yet, is it smaller placements of some sort, or something else?
Hey Kolstad. Basically it's the delay between a placement airing on TV ( mostly German TV and some U.S ) and then getting paid by my PRO ( PRS) ...the delay is around 18 months - 2 years from GEMA to PRS ( don't ask me why is takes so long ) so I should start seeing some in the last Qtr of this year I hope.

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Cameloide wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:49 pm
half of them are done with acoustic instruments which I record with mics, so there's a lot more engineering involved and I gotta deal with noise and editing is more time consuming than dealing with midi. But there are definitely areas I could speed up.
Yeah that will take longer for sure, whilst I do sometimes record a live part it's 90% in the box and I've been doing it long enough to know what my go to instrument plugins are and also my mix template is all set up and ready to go so that saves a lot of time.

I also master within the DAW session instead of doing it separately - that saves tons of time when making deliverables for libraries and was taught to me by one of the Taxi members that does music full time.

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:08 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:43 pm

I've been doing it long enough to know what my go to instrument plugins are and also my mix template is all set up and ready to go so that saves a lot of time.

I also master within the DAW session instead of doing it separately - that saves tons of time when making deliverables for libraries and was taught to me by one of the Taxi members that does music full time.
Good points. On the ones that I do use in-the-box sounds I don't really have "go to instruments or sounds" yet unfortunately, and scrolling through patches looking for stuff is still a huge time sink. I've had NI Komplete Kontrol for about a year now, and I'm still not up to speed or to the level I was at with Reason, but I'm getting there.

I tend to do what you're doing with the mix template and mastering within the DAW session, which I always heard was a no no, but it just saves a lot of time, if you're computer can handle it, and I imagine these days most can.

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am

Congrats on the placement numbers Mark! That's very impressive and I'm sure the $ will follow this year or next. PRO statement day is like waiting for Christmas morning 4 quarters per year ;) . best of luck in '22.
John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:45 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am
PRO statement day is like waiting for Christmas morning 4
Yeah - unfortunately so far it's like the Xmas morning when you didn't get what you wanted !

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 am

Thanks for your transparency! I checked out your playlist, you've got a lot of really nice tracks there. Great sounds and mixes... it's only a matter of time before the placements pick up. I totally agree, it's not good to just be IN a library, you need to be with the RIGHT libraries. I've learned that library success ebbs and flows.... a library that was hot a few years ago may not be so hot. It probably also depends on the genre... electronic music like yours is quite popular. Keep up the great work!

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic