Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Trying again to share a link for review

Post by DouglasKnight » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:26 pm

JarrodHallock wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:40 pm
Was this track for a specific listing, Jarrod? If so, then it's always good to include the listing details in your post along with links to the references so we can better evaluate. The track has some nice sounds and sets a definite mood, but it doesn't really develop as it goes along, so it's likely to get returned for being repetitive (as me how I know!) Hope that helps a bit...
Doug
It is not for a listing but that is great to know. I am just writing as much as I can and stretching out a bit. Trying to fine-tune production skills. I would love it if a listing that worked for this magically appeared! For practice, I am trying to include edit points, a stinger ending, and a stinger beginning. I am also trying to give a couple of different mood options in between edit points. Thanks for taking the time to listen and for giving me insight. I love it!
That's fantastic, Jarrod. I just started with Taxi in Sept. so I'm learning right along with you. The community here has been really helpful to me, so it's good that you're on the forums. Wishing you all the best with your music!
Doug

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 pm

When you click onto the little Soundcloud icon in the tool bar,
paste your URL right in the middle - BETWEEN the opposing brackets.
Hope that's clearer.
I was able to do that using your link, if you saw that reply.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 am

JarrodHallock wrote:
It is not for a listing but that is great to know. I am just writing as much as I can and stretching out a bit. Trying to fine-tune production skills. I would love it if a listing that worked for this magically appeared! For practice, I am trying to include edit points, a stinger ending, and a stinger beginning. I am also trying to give a couple of different mood options in between edit points. Thanks for taking the time to listen and for giving me insight. I love it!
When you are new to all this the best advice is to write specifically to the Listings as the chances of a Listing coming along that just happens to match something you came up off the cuff are slim to none and you need to get a handle on what types of tracks they can use and how they are constructed.

Whilst there will always be exceptions, generally this kind of downtempo material doesn't get used a great deal in Sync Licensing because a lot of the music is needed for reality type shows and they want uptempo positive music to suit their target audiences and give energy to the shows. If you keep an eye on the Listings it's rare you'll see sad downtempo instrumental music requested. Whilst emotional music does get used it's often more contemporary like Future Bass or Downtempo Hip Hop etc, or it goes the other way into evergreen stuff like solo piano with strings.

Arrangement wise, you've used more typical Dramedy instrumentation which is that sneaky, semi comical type music that gets used a bunch. There is a current Dramedy Listing up that you could check out as you may already have the sounds you need to give it a try.

LIke the others have said the cue is a bit repetitive and the mix feels a bit flat but this may be down to the material. I don't think you'll find a Listing for this particular track so it's probably best to find one that interests you and work on that. Then you can post it up with the Listing for feedback.

Mark

JaredHallock
Active
Active

Post by JaredHallock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:09 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 am
JarrodHallock wrote:
When you are new to all this the best advice is to write specifically to the Listings as the chances of a Listing coming along that just happens to match something you came up off the cuff are slim to none and you need to get a handle on what types of tracks they can use and how they are constructed.

Whilst there will always be exceptions, generally this kind of downtempo material doesn't get used a great deal in Sync Licensing because a lot of the music is needed for reality type shows and they want uptempo positive music to suit their target audiences and give energy to the shows. If you keep an eye on the Listings it's rare you'll see sad downtempo instrumental music requested. Whilst emotional music does get used it's often more contemporary like Future Bass or Downtempo Hip Hop etc, or it goes the other way into evergreen stuff like solo piano with strings.

Arrangement wise, you've used more typical Dramedy instrumentation which is that sneaky, semi comical type music that gets used a bunch. There is a current Dramedy Listing up that you could check out as you may already have the sounds you need to give it a try.

LIke the others have said the cue is a bit repetitive and the mix feels a bit flat but this may be down to the material. I don't think you'll find a Listing for this particular track so it's probably best to find one that interests you and work on that. Then you can post it up with the Listing for feedback.

Mark
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time:)

JaredHallock
Active
Active

Post by JaredHallock » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 pm

I am curious if you would consider it broadcast quality?

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Jared,

I would remove the opening bell sound and start with the descending string line.

I'm having trouble finding the pulse in places... i.e. :07 - :15. Did you perform this to a click? If not, you might look at tightening things up a bit with some quantization, not 100%, but some. Or if you're going for an uneasy feeling, ignore me... :)

As for the mix, I can hear the various parts appropriately, so I think you're ok for the most part. Did you eq the signals before they hit the reverb? I find that setting a HP filter around 250-300Hz keeps the reverb from getting muddy. Also, look at that range on your master buss and see if it needs taming.

Hope this helps,

Michael

JaredHallock
Active
Active

Post by JaredHallock » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:25 pm

myk247365 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 pm
Jared,

I would remove the opening bell sound and start with the descending string line.

I'm having trouble finding the pulse in places... i.e. :07 - :15. Did you perform this to a click? If not, you might look at tightening things up a bit with some quantization, not 100%, but some. Or if you're going for an uneasy feeling, ignore me... :)

As for the mix, I can hear the various parts appropriately, so I think you're ok for the most part. Did you eq the signals before they hit the reverb? I find that setting a HP filter around 250-300Hz keeps the reverb from getting muddy. Also, look at that range on your master buss and see if it needs taming.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Oh my gosh, thanks so much! I did not perform to a click and kept it rubato, but I agree with you that some parts could use a tightening. Thanks for helping me to solidify that thought, and thanks for the HP filter suggestion. I will also visit 250-300 Hz on the master buss. Thank you for taking the time to provide some very insightful comments! I feel lucky that I received this insight.