Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

carel11
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Best Format for recording

Post by carel11 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Hi All
I could use some direction....
I was wondering what format you are using when recording ?
What are most Libraries going to ask for ?
Wave, aif, or aiff ?
and should they be 44.1 or 48 ???

thanks for your time and concern
stay safe
carL
a little rock, a little roll, and a rather unfocused gaze
carl wurzbach

https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
https://soundcloud.com/carelw
http://carlwurzbach.com

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Best Format for recording

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:09 pm

carel11 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:22 pm
Hi All
I could use some direction....
I was wondering what format you are using when recording ?
What are most Libraries going to ask for ?
Wave, aif, or aiff ?
and should they be 44.1 or 48 ???

thanks for your time and concern
stay safe
carL
Hi Carl. Every library has different requirements, so it's difficult to answer that question. Best recommendation is, when a track is fully completed and is broadcast quality, to render one of each plus a good quality mp3 for TAXI submissions or pitching.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:35 pm

Hi, my suggestion would be stick to 24-bit 48kHz. As Vikki says, there are variations in what libraries will ask for, but if you keep your projects at those settings it should be easy enough to render versions at different settings. I've been asked for:
- 24-bit 48kHz wav (most common)
- 24-bit 44.1kHz wav
- 16-bit 48kHz wav
So far I've not been asked for aif or aiff but I know others have.
Most want a mastered versions, others want an unmastered version or even unmastered stems.
Some like mp3 for initial submissions, and although I've found that mostly unnecessary, I usually render an mp3 for my own purposes.

Its also worth saying that not all my tracks are accepted by the initial target library, but are often subsequently accepted by another library, perhaps with a different specification, so having the ability to change the standard is vital to me. Although my DAW (and no doubt yours too) will render a 24-bit 48kHz version of a project that was recorded at 16-bit 44.1kHz (for example) I'd rather go 'downhill' than try to go 'uphill' in terms of quality.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about it - just work at any decent sampe rate and nobody will hear the difference if you need to transcode it

I prefer to work at 24bit 44.1k because it means I can still use windows audio at the same time for listening to ref tracks etc or watching Youtube tutorials

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:35 pm
Hi, my suggestion would be stick to 24-bit 48kHz. As Vikki says, there are variations in what libraries will ask for, but if you keep your projects at those settings it should be easy enough to render versions at different settings. I've been asked for:
- 24-bit 44.1kHz wav
- 16-bit 48kHz wav
Most want a mastered versions, others want an unmastered version or even unmastered stems.
Some like mp3 for initial submissions, and although I've found that mostly unnecessary, I usually render an mp3 for my own purposes.

Its also worth saying that not all my tracks are accepted by the initial target library, but are often subsequently accepted by another library, perhaps with a different specification, so having the ability to change the standard is vital to me. Although my DAW (and no doubt yours too) will render a 24-bit 48kHz version of a project that was recorded at 16-bit 44.1kHz (for example) I'd rather go 'downhill' than try to go 'uphill' in terms of quality.
I agree with 24b/48K because that's the highest resolution asked for. It's better to have the highest and convert downward when a library wants 16 bit and/or 44.1K.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Casey H wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm
Telefunkin wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:35 pm
- 24-bit 44.1kHz wav
- 16-bit 48kHz wav

I agree with 24b/48K because that's the highest resolution asked for. It's better to have the highest and convert downward when a library wants 16 bit and/or 44.1K.
Makes no audible quality differnce whether its' 44.1 or 48k . 48k was not introduced because it sounds better, it was for practical purposes when syncing to picture. It doesn't sound better, 44.1k already covers the entire spectrum of human hearing.

I had a Library once send instructions " Your DAW sessions MUST be at 48k "...lol...needless to say they were all 44.1 and then exported at 48k at the end. No harm done.

carel11
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by carel11 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm

Thanks for the prompt and informative replies.
All good suggestions.
you folks are great,
I have been hesitant about using the forum, but I believe it's time to jump in the pool
I seem to get better CPU mileage with the 44.1, but I like the idea of rendering down.
any thoughts ???
thanks again
carL
a little rock, a little roll, and a rather unfocused gaze
carl wurzbach

https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
https://soundcloud.com/carelw
http://carlwurzbach.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 am

carel11 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 pm
I seem to get better CPU mileage with the 44.1, but I like the idea of rendering down. Any thoughts ???
There are many more important factors such as writing, arrangement, production skills and use of contemporary sounds that will have a large bearing on whether your music is licensable or not.

Whether you initiate your DAW session at 96k , 88k, 48k or 44.1k......just ain't one of 'em.

If it's more convenient for you to work 44.1k ( which it generally is for the CPU reasons you mention and being able to open Apps that won't run at 48k simultaneously ) then do that as everything will resample perfectly at whatever sample rate you specify when you export and nobody will be any the wiser.

Hell - Most people can't even tell the difference between a 320k MP3 that throws away 90% of the data and a full Wav, so If they think can perceive a difference between 44.1k & 48k they are kidding themselves.

If you have a bunch of external gear that's designed to run at 48k, like expensive external word clocks or you're writing to picture then sure - it makes sense to sync the DAW sample to the rest of the gear. But that's about convenience not audio quality.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 am

For Taxi submissions .mp3 is fine. Don't go through the trouble of bouncing in various formats until you know where the files are being sent. As others have said, libraries have their own preferences for both file format and alt mixes (full mix, bass and drums, bed, stinger, etc). And, some of the libraries have portals that only accept your files if they are the correct format. One library I am in requires 24/48, another only accepts 16/44,1. I've made the mistake in the past of bouncing an entire album's worth of tracks and alts at 24/48 (60 files in all) only to have to go back and resample them so that the upload portal would accept them. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:47 am

I was working with DAT tapes and a Synclavier about 20+ years ago. I did hear artifacts when transcoding between 44.1k and 48k, but that was entirely due to the D/A converters available back then. Today I agree with Mark. No harm, no foul. That said...

The other thing to consider, is what do you start with when bouncing up or down? When a project file is available,I would never use a .wav file to create another .wav or even an MP3. I always go back to the project which will be (for me) 44.1k 32-bit floating point. Enough resolution to make anything appropriately clean.