After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
Akarin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am
Contact:

After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by Akarin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am

Hey all,

I've had some forwards but after many months, I've never heard back. How long would you say it is safe to reuse a track with another publisher?

Thanks!

User avatar
hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 7142
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 pm

Akarin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am
Hey all,

I've had some forwards but after many months, I've never heard back. How long would you say it is safe to reuse a track with another publisher?

Thanks!
One minute. If it's not signed exclusively, keep pitching it, never wait.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

New Blog: "The Shrill Call of the Naysayer"

Link: Vikki Flawith Music

Akarin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by Akarin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 pm
Akarin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am
Hey all,

I've had some forwards but after many months, I've never heard back. How long would you say it is safe to reuse a track with another publisher?

Thanks!
One minute. If it's not signed exclusively, keep pitching it, never wait.
Thanks... For example, one of the tracks was forwarded 6 months ago. The listing mentioned "exclusive." Yet, I have a publisher that would like it but exclusively as well. What should I do in this case? Write a similar one for my publisher and hope for the forwarded one... ...or send the forwarded one to my publisher?

User avatar
69framus
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 am
Gender: Male
Location: Glenville, NY
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by 69framus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi -

Check out last night's TAXI TV episode - "Should This TAXI Member Renew or Not?" from Jan 17 2022 - I think this very question is addressed at about timestamp 1:00:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ_iCrahh_4

Congratulations BTW - nice problem to have :)

User avatar
melodea
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by melodea » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:50 pm

Hi there, I have pitched my tracks everytime I felt the listing was right for them. Some tracks were forwarded 4 or even 5 times. First comes first serves! Then you go: sorry, the track was just signed by another publisher, but I’ll be more than happy to write others for you”! Nobody will be mad at you.

Good luck

Chris

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 am

Give it at least a nano second 8-)

User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 13104
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 am

Akarin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm
hummingbird wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 pm
Akarin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am
Hey all,

I've had some forwards but after many months, I've never heard back. How long would you say it is safe to reuse a track with another publisher?

Thanks!
One minute. If it's not signed exclusively, keep pitching it, never wait.
Thanks... For example, one of the tracks was forwarded 6 months ago. The listing mentioned "exclusive." Yet, I have a publisher that would like it but exclusively as well. What should I do in this case? Write a similar one for my publisher and hope for the forwarded one... ...or send the forwarded one to my publisher?
A forward is just a forward which is a "favorable introduction". Don't make ANY decisions about what to do as far as signing tracks elsewhere based on a forward. If your song was forwarded but now you have a good opp to sign it, sign it. If, later on, that forward library contacts you about the song, you can always say, "That one was already signed but I can write another one in that style for you".
Last edited by Casey H on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1959
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:37 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: After how long following a forward is it safe to reuse a track?

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:34 am

Just a few posts further down was this....
same-cue-to-two-exclusive-listings-t148679.html
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests