Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1338
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 am

Getting ready to submit Bodies In Motion for the following listing. Any last-minute thoughts on the mix? Thanks in advance!

https://soundcloud.com/user-155785959/b ... al_sharing

CURRENT-Sounding EDM/POP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a Major European Media Company for a variety of Non-Exclusive opportunities!

This Company is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that you might hear on a playlist with the following references:

"Bed" by Joel Corry, RAYE, & David Guetta

"Hold Me Close" by Sam Feldt feat. Ella Henderson

"Paradise" by Meduza feat. Dermot Kennedy

Please submit modern EDM/Pop Songs with danceable beats, infectious hooks, memorable melodies, and plenty of personality and energy. Your submissions should have solid arrangements and polished production in the general style of the references. Expressive, well-performed vocals are a must for this pitch, as well. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are fresh and high-quality.

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, places, dates, times, brands, and profanity. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Quoting the Company: “Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, SACEM, IMRO, APRA AMCOS, SOCAN, including all Scandinavian and Latin American PROs, are eligible to submit their music for this opportunity.”

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE Deal, so you will keep 100% of all Composition and Master Rights. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Saturday, January 29th, 2022. TAXI # S220129MG
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

User avatar
funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 6570
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am
Gender: Male
Location: So Cal
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by funsongs » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 am

Just an idea, 'for prosody-sake'... with the title and motif being about 'motion' -
what if you were to do some left-to-right/back-n-forth panning of one, or a few, of the rhythmic elements?

Cool track. Good melody and hooks.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/


“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm

Yeah cool song, I think its' 80-90% " there "

I think my main issue is the production / mix is about a 7 out of 10 in places and it needs to be at least an 8.5

My main nit is the vocals sound too thin, if you're taking out a bunch of low end to keep it clear then you need to be bringing up some of the lower mids to compensate and stop it sounding thin. I also think they sit a little " on top " of the track instead of " in the track" which is partly an arrangement thing and partly mixing thing to make space for them. Some of the denser section felt like there was too much going on and it might be better to mute one or two parts for the sake of clarity.

Also I feel there are more opportunities to use automation create some contrast shifts and cool little moments..everything's a bit "static " at the moment , not enough stuff moving up & down ..you need to guide the listeners attention more but having things pop in and out and change gears between sections.

Overall I think it's pretty good...but the right mix could put it over the top into greatness.

Mark

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1338
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:12 pm

funsongs wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 am
Just an idea, 'for prosody-sake'... with the title and motif being about 'motion' -
what if you were to do some left-to-right/back-n-forth panning of one, or a few, of the rhythmic elements?

Cool track. Good melody and hooks.
Thanks, Peter! We'll take your look into your ideas. Thanks for always listening and being supportive.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1338
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by LamarPecorino » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm
Yeah cool song, I think its' 80-90% " there "

I think my main issue is the production / mix is about a 7 out of 10 in places and it needs to be at least an 8.5

My main nit is the vocals sound too thin, if you're taking out a bunch of low end to keep it clear then you need to be bringing up some of the lower mids to compensate and stop it sounding thin. I also think they sit a little " on top " of the track instead of " in the track" which is partly an arrangement thing and partly mixing thing to make space for them. Some of the denser section felt like there was too much going on and it might be better to mute one or two parts for the sake of clarity.

Also I feel there are more opportunities to use automation create some contrast shifts and cool little moments..everything's a bit "static " at the moment , not enough stuff moving up & down ..you need to guide the listeners attention more but having things pop in and out and change gears between sections.

Overall I think it's pretty good...but the right mix could put it over the top into greatness.

Mark
Hey Mark! Thank you for listening and offering actionable suggestions. You are way ahead of me when it comes to this kind of music production. I'll see what we can do to implement at least some of your ideas by the deadline.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:54 am
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by sansharbour » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:50 am

Hey Lamar

Real Nice tune...Love the tone of the vocal and arrangement
What I think is missing is big low end...your kick is not too low and your synth bass is not too low either
Make one of those fatter and it will add weight.
One more thing chorus near the middle maybe add a bit more vocal delay......in Motion ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Just my 2 cents

Don

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1338
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Bodies In Motion - Thoughts on mix?

Post by LamarPecorino » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:46 am

sansharbour wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:50 am
Hey Lamar

Real Nice tune...Love the tone of the vocal and arrangement
What I think is missing is big low end...your kick is not too low and your synth bass is not too low either
Make one of those fatter and it will add weight.
One more thing chorus near the middle maybe add a bit more vocal delay......in Motion ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Just my 2 cents

Don
Thanks for listening and writing, Don. We are addressing those concerns. Unfortunately we were not able to get it done before the deadline. It will be interesting to see what happens during the screening process.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests